facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

At3 Stator

• brandenj09
  • brandenj09's Avatar Topic Author

At3 Stator was created by brandenj09

Finally back to getting the old At3 reassembled and running again after it was abused by the inlaws, and now I'm getting no spark. I have a new fully charged battery, and new spark plug cap that I've confirmed is getting power. 

The electric start never worked before and I never knew why, and I'm getting no spark when using that. But now the kickstart isn't giving anything either. I checked the inside of the stator assembly and there was a metal piece just hanging there. If this piece is broken does it break the stator? Pic shows the location of where this piece  was.

As always I'm very humbled by all I don't know after reading through all these other detailed posts lol

19 May 2022 18:46 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic At3 Stator

Hey Branden it maybe one of your brushes it takes a total of 4 brushes I can only see two
19 May 2022 20:26 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic At3 Stator

Should spark even if no brushes. Just flicking the points with a screwdriver or scratching around the points even if open is enough to get spark jumping. So sounds like no DC getting down there so back track up to the coil. I 'think' the battery goes to one side of the coil & other heads to the points--via a long winding road probably. Just put 12v battery power into the coil, most likely a brown on that side--& then if nothing at the points just run a wire from other side of coil down to the points. & watch for smoke lol. Wouldn't even need the assembly back on the bike if its easier 'not to' at this stage but would need it earthed to the motor at least with a jumper lead so condenser can do its thing. Sorry, over-complicating it all again. That's spark. Charging is another essay--& brushes maybe.
19 May 2022 20:46 #3

I have an old stator apart I’ll take a look in the morning 
19 May 2022 21:50 #4

I looked at my At2 stator it looks like yours the only thing  missing  is some brushes on yours 
20 May 2022 05:53 #5

• brandenj09

Replied by brandenj09 on topic At3 Stator

Thanks for confirming.

Are replacement brushes available or is the best bet a different stator or swap to the vape system? I didn't see the brushes listed on any of the parts diagrams. It looks like there are only three brushes on the interior part of the stator since one side doesn't have a place for a screw to go so I just have the one missing.

RT325 thanks for the tip. Haven't gotten a chance to try that yet but plan to give it a try over the extended weekend
24 May 2022 19:37 #6

Replied by Clegg on topic At3 Stator

Look for at3 carbon brushes on fleabay. Available from the UK.
1971 SL350, 1973 Bultaco Matador, 1978 XS650, 1979 MX175, 1982 XT250, 1982 GS650, 1982 CB450T HAWK, 1979 IT175, 1977 Suzuki TS185
24 May 2022 19:49 #7

I got mine from the uk they are held on by springs 
24 May 2022 19:52 #8

The following user(s) Liked this Post: brandenj09
24 May 2022 19:54 #9

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• brandenj09

Replied by brandenj09 on topic At3 Stator

Ok so the brushes took forever to ship, but I got them in and did something pretty stupid that should probably end up on the wall of shame. After putting the stator back on one of the retaining springs was pulled off to the side and making contact with the stator, so when I went to use the estart to test spark there were two sparks that shot out where the spring was contacting the stator and then boom... no power to anything.

So now I'm trying to figure out how bad of a mistake this is. Not sure what all burned out, but would it be the the regulator to go out first or is it basically everything in the system? 
25 Jun 2022 20:56 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart