facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Flasher relay

• ANELCT175
  • ANELCT175's Avatar Topic Author

Flasher relay was created by ANELCT175

I have the original flasher relay for my CT3.  It seems like it's broken.  It usually flashes once and stops. Rather than paying a fortune for the original part, does anyone recommend an aftermarket part that would work.  I found a 6V one at Napa but I thought I'd check here first.  It looks like it would slide right into the holder with no modifications. 
14 Jun 2021 10:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Flasher relay

With a little patience, they can be repaired! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

First up, prise the end of the relay open where the wires enter it. The mechanism can then be lifted out (might be a wire on the end that prevents total separation).

On the top you will see a small set of contact breaker points - open these with your fingers and clean each face with emery paper or something similar.

Put the mechanism back into the cover (but don't seal up yet), connect it up and see if there is any improvement. Then report back!

I have just repaired eight that were like yours.

DO make sure that the battery you are using is well charged, otherwise the lights won't flash. Also make sure that the indicator bulbs are 6v, not led and their wattage matches, or is close to, that printed on the flasher relay.

In principle, and subject to having the right connectors and are able to fix it in place, you can use any 6v indicator relay on your bike. To test my various ones, I got some wires and put spade connectors on one end and bullets on the other.
14 Jun 2021 11:40 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Flasher relay

Make sure you get a two wire replacement and not a three wire.  Other than that, most 6 v units will work.  Best is the kind that are not load sensitive.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
14 Jun 2021 12:53 #3

• ANELCT175
  • ANELCT175's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by ANELCT175 on topic Flasher relay

I tried taking it apart and cleaning it up. No luck. Battery is fully charged. I know the bulbs match because they are original to the bike and so is the flasher relay. 
14 Jun 2021 18:04 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Flasher relay

Thanks.

Bulbs first. Always advisable to physically check them yourself - who knows what a previous owner might have done (if you have had the bike from new, then apologies and ignore this!).

Are you able to wire up the relay with the mechanism sitting outside of the can? If yes, when you operate it, can you see and hear the points open and then just stick in position?

I am attaching a couple of photos of one that I got working by bending the metal plate that the lower points face sits on nearer to the magnet face that sits on top of the copper wiring. I also bent the upper plate so that the two points faces were just touching when closed.

It is a bit fiddly, but satisfying when they eventually work again (and free and originality is kept!).

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Jack
15 Jun 2021 00:19 #5

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MarkT on topic Flasher relay

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=273949692188&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart