facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oil pump woes

• DT Tim
  • DT Tim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Oil pump woes was created by DT Tim

Thought I’d give reconditioning my oil pump a go, it’s basic and I purchased a full overhaul kit too.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

should of left well alone, it wasn’t faulty or playing up but we will mess won’t we chaps................

Firstly the kit was a complete waste of time, no slandering here but it was from Yambits UK, no detriment to the company or its parts but this particular kit is dangerous, the pump will not work correctly with the seal and one of the case seals was never going to fit.

Getting the tiny tiny pins into the cog was unbelievably difficult ( you have my total respect Deet)

Anyway, after setting the gap I just couldn’t get the pump to pump the right amount of oil, until Istripped it again and replaced the small interior seal, which I presume is the main pump part, with the original.
Taddaaaa it now pumps to the correct specification, hence why I say the kit is dangerous.

So, my recommendation is, send your pump away to be reconditioned or don’t be scared to attempt the job but just make sure you get a good quality kit.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, JimA
05 May 2021 07:46 #1

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Oil pump woes

You can also buy the seals from Yamaha... 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
05 May 2021 07:49 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil pump woes

Always thought the pump was overly complicated considering suzuki & others get by with one half the size & not visible external moving parts.
05 May 2021 18:18 #3

Replied by apex on topic Oil pump woes

If you're willing to take this pump rebuild thing on, the pump seal kit from HVC Cycles works very well. I've used their kits a half-dozen times, with good results. Yes, DT Tim if you pop that geared wheel off, re-inserting the sprag pins + springs is incredibly tedious and time consuming. Incredibly! Doable but not without choice words and tool throwing. 

RT325 the Mikuni pumps are a bit of a chore, with very little rebuild knowledge out there, and even fewer rebuild kits found without considerable research time. The knowledge IS out there, but wow it's hard to find. There is an eBay seller in Canada that puts together kits, but his stuff is not easy to find and not always available. I know from trying to solve oil pump problems on a friends T20 Suzuki Hustler. Thankfully, Yamaha sold a TON more Yamaha's with their own oil pumps, than Mikuni on every other brand (including 2 stroke Aermacchi "Harley Davidsons"). 
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, JimA
05 May 2021 21:21 #4

Replied by Wessi on topic Oil pump woes

Fully agree, the Yambits set is a waste of money. In my case the smallest oil seal didn´t have 5.5mm diameter, it was much smaller.
As well the oil seal for the pump piston was not ok. The position of the lip was2mm  more inside, so it sealed at the very edge of the piston.when pressing it in till the bottom Ses picture of lip position origin oil seal vs  Yambits.

07 May 2021 02:22 #5

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart