facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

New to forum, question about shifter issues with my '75 DT100

• Zatocera
  • Zatocera's Avatar Topic Author
*SOLVED*

Hello! I am quite new to these bikes and also new to the forum. I bought a DT100 a couple months back and have been working on it steadily, restoring it and finding missing parts and the like. I am getting close to getting the engine back together as I had to take it apart to free up the shifter linkage. I've gotten most of the parts I need to put it all back together but I've found something that has puzzled me. I am able to find all 5 gears but my shift drum does not want to return to the center position after shifting. I've heard this could just be the fact that the trans is dry and needs to be lubed up and warmed up to work properly. The spring on the return arm seems to be tight still and not loose. I cannot seem to find a neutral either but I think I have gotten neutral before but it's hard to know when the shift drum isn't returning properly. I cannot get a video of the issue as I do not have 4 arms but I have found others that have had the same issues with their DTs, one of them I found on this site before.  Sorry for the lengthy post, as I said I am kinda new to all this and I figured getting on here would be my best bet since you guys know more than I do. Any help would be appreciated

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 16 Apr 2021 17:58 by Zatocera. Reason: My question has been answered
15 Apr 2021 18:34 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Welcome!

I only briefly watched videos but both had the same basic issue.  Shafts MUST be rotating to shift through gears on bench.  Otherwise dogs can't engage in slots.  This is not a problem but normal.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last edit: 15 Apr 2021 21:17 by MarkT.
15 Apr 2021 21:12 #2

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
To get it yours or any motorcycle trans to shift through 'all' the gears without the motor running you need to move the rear wheel if the chain is on or move the front sprocket if no chain. It's because the drive dogs won't line up with the slots in the opposing gears without doing that. You might get lucky & strike it right twice or three times at best, but not 5 times. Neutral is located by a ball & spring under the 17mm hex bolt of the left behind the neutral light connection.
Also looking at the clutch ens pressure plate i'm wondering if you have a steel behind it as it looks to me like it might be running the pressure plate against the last fiber. Hope i'm wrong but just looked on Partzilla & doesn't show a steel as last on. But if your pressure plate is looking like the Partzilla one with No splines in the pressure plate the the drive is taken via the 5 spring post. You'd probably get away with it on a 175 but not ideal. Partzilla shows it wrong in this instance but i'll link it for a look. Models that run No steel behind the pressure plate have a spline so the pressure plate is located to the center--call it the hub--so is driven via splines & not spring posts. I need a cuppa & a lie down lol then i'll watch the videos right through. Keep in mind this first link is wrong & should have a steel in last not first as it shows. Also your neutral locator in between first & second is done by No8 in the second link.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1974/dt175a/clutch
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...974/dt175a/shifter-1
15 Apr 2021 21:15 #3

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Apr 2021 21:17 #4

• Zatocera
Thank you, I was stressing out over it and to be told it's normal is a relief.
16 Apr 2021 17:51 #5

• Zatocera
Thank you RT325 for the input, I do not own a DT175 but a DT100. I used the videos as references as I cannot record the supposed issue myself. From what MarkT said, it is all normal. Once again, thank you all and I am glad to be part of this community!
16 Apr 2021 17:55 #6

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ha, yes in hindsight i think i saw you said couldn't do a video--then one--2--popped up haha. All good.
16 Apr 2021 18:00 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart