facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

trailmaster stripped kickstart shaft splines anyone got a fix or a replacement?

• s900t8v
  • s900t8v's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
hey guys

Unfortunately my L5T kickstarter has seen better days

the splines are toast on both, seems I can find kickstarts but havent been able to find any NOS shafts,

anyone have a decent fix or know of where I might be able to find a replacement shaft?

luckily there are plenty of kickstart engagement dogs floating around on ebay.

someone obviously kicked the heck out of this thing trying to get it going haha

cheers

Ed
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
Last edit: 15 Oct 2020 00:24 by s900t8v.
15 Oct 2020 00:23 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Three different solutions if replacement shafts are simply unavailable....
1) machine shop builds up material with weld and hobbs out new grooves.
2) get some other model kickstart and shaft, cut off spline sections drill each end and press a pin to align them then fill in with weld.
3) cheapest solution is weld your kickstarter to shaft. If you need to remove in future grind weld out
15 Oct 2020 05:21 #2

I had a 73 LT3 100 enduro with damaged splines on the shaft. I took a sharp file and did my best to restore the grooves on the shaft. Then put on a new kick starter. Put a high strength through bolt with a nut on the end. Kept it very tight, and it lasted.

When I see damaged teeth like that I wonder if it is caused by kicking technique. You should take up all the slack in the kick starting system so the gears and all are not subject to impact forces but are just pushed through the motion. If that makes sense.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Von
Last edit: 15 Oct 2020 06:15 by JayB. Reason: clarified what was damaged
15 Oct 2020 06:15 #3

Leave out the kick idler gear that meshes with the broken gear & just use the electric start. With gear levers that have stripped splines i've drilled straight in at the overlap of lever & shaft so you get half the circle in the lever & half in shaft. Then threaded to 6mm & screw in a high tensile allen head bolt. Might've even done that on my HT1 kick start which would be the same size as your L5.
15 Oct 2020 15:09 #4

• s900t8v
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks guys

I’ve ordered a new dog gear. I might file in some grooves and then install a roll pin as well. I have no intention of using the kickstart the starter works brilliantly but seeing as the engine is being pulled down I wanted to fix whatever I could.

The previous owner kicked it to death with no spark.

shame the axles aren’t available. I have half a mind to see what an engineer would charge. Probably a few hundred.

Shame.
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
Last edit: 16 Oct 2020 06:04 by s900t8v.
16 Oct 2020 06:03 #5

Just went through the exact same deal with my LT3 100.
Just buy an overpriced kick starter shaft and replace the part, that's the correct way.
Or, just grind and drill a big hole that you can cut some threads in and jam a big ugly bolt in the kick start lever with the now really trashed shaft.
The splines are so small that trying to cut them back in may or may not work, hey just weld it on like they do in Asia on you tube.
The splines are tiny compared to all the other enduros so after 50 years, yeah they need a new part or re-engineered with a torch.
You can find a new kick shaft shaft on ebay with the part number and some patience as I did, they do exist but $$$$
Or, if you're cheap just push start it.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2020 11:53 by LETSJET.
16 Oct 2020 11:51 #6

Another thing you can do is to clean the splines on the shaft and on the lever with a file, then cut some material from the slot where the pinch bolt goes (use a die grinder or double up hacksaw blades). This allows you a little extra pinch. I've done this with kickstart levers and shift levers and it works! Hope this helps.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: s900t8v
16 Oct 2020 14:46 #7

• s900t8v
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I have not actually found a L5t kickstarter shaft for sale online otherwise I would have considered buying it.

oh wait there is one in europe for $500 that is absurd.

for the record I got the bike with the welded kickstart shaft, I am trying to find a good solution to fix it. I may buy a new kickstart because they are cheap and try recutting the splines and using a bolt with nut and see if that works thanks for all your input guys!

maybe one day a l5t kickstart shaft will turn up
1976 Yamaha rAG175
1969 Yamaha L5T
17 Oct 2020 04:24 #8

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=223601543432&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=233160254661&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart