facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT1 wiring question.

• Murf
  • Murf's Avatar Topic Author

RT1 wiring question. was created by Murf

Hi all.
I have an RT1 and the wiring/loom is partially removed and a bit of a mess. The ignition switch and rectifier were missing but I have now managed to locate replacements. I am now trying to work out which wires go where. My first problem is that I have 6 wires coming out of the magneto case but the wiring diagram I have found only shows 4. Can anyone give me any information on which wire does what or have a wiring diagram showing 6 wires from the magneto?
The yellow wire in th pictures that has been soldered is actually black nearer the magneto and has been extended/repaired with a bit of yellow cable. This one was soldered to the coil when I got the bike. The 6th wire (visible in second pic) is also black and comes out of the sheathing lower down.
Many thanks
Last edit: 12 Sep 2020 02:52 by Murf. Reason: Accuracy
12 Sep 2020 02:49 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic RT1 wiring question.

Would you just confirm if it is a RT1, RT2 or RT3 (see VIN tables in Tech Library here).

RT2 and RT3 VIN numbers started RT1, but have the reed valve and a "Torque Induction" badge on the oil tank.

If RT2/3, the black, yellow, green and green/red that all end at the same point should have matching connectors on the main harness. The white that is in that batch is effectively a "spare" charging wire and is usually not used.

The black that comes out by itself about half way down is used only for timing checking and should not be used in any other circumstances - it is not an earth!

I would recommend fitting a 6v voltage regulator and I have attached a link regarding this below. If you are in the UK, I have an unchecked original used one that I could flog you for not very much.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Murf
12 Sep 2020 03:56 #2

• Murf

Replied by Murf on topic RT1 wiring question.

Many thanks Gr8uncleal.
It is an RT1B according to the vin table. It is a US import. Is the wiring the same as you have detailed for the RT2/3?
12 Sep 2020 05:38 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic RT1 wiring question.

Sleep time but if i'm thinkin rite, you're saying the yellow that starts from black at the mag has another short one coming off it down there somewhere, So this is the ignition wire that ends up at the plug coil, either via the missing switch or direct which i think you said that it was soldered to the lug coil. Take a breath lol-- then genuine yellow is lights but the others are a lower output from the lighting coils of which there's two by memory, Yellow will be the highest output. Think white will go to the rectifier if you have a battery--well--if you have a rectifier. i'll have a good read tomorrow, & if i'm wrong someone will pull me up. Cheers. ps, to run it you only need the black--extended with a bit of yellow as it is. But i'm sure you know that. I miss my RT1 & tempted to get a piston port top end to revert my RT2 to the earlier setup. Have rough old DT1 piston port bike too.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Murf
12 Sep 2020 06:03 #4

I'm not absolutely sure.

Pete (from Ascot, UK) might check his RT1 for you, or the US folks will chime in when they're awake and up!
12 Sep 2020 06:34 #5

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic RT1 wiring question.

I've just double checked mine and Alan (as usual :)) is correct.
The lower black is a "testing point", the other black goes to the coil, the white on mine does not connect to anything and all others connect to the harness corresponding colours and I believe end up at the ignition switch.
Hope this helps.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
12 Sep 2020 08:03 #6

If only Pete, if only! :haha But thanks anyway.
12 Sep 2020 08:29 #7

• Murf

Many thanks to you all. From your replies the magneto wiring now makes sense however I think I have a mish mash regarding the loom and ignition switch. The switch plugs into the loom ok but the colours do not match. I will check colours against the wiring diagram and see what I am left with! I guess it is possible the loom has been changed.
Thanks again.
12 Sep 2020 08:31 #8

• Murf

Many thanks for checking yours Pete-RT1. The magneto wiring makes sense now.
12 Sep 2020 08:32 #9

• Murf

Many thanks for the information Collector. Most appreciated. I am assuming that whoever had the bike before ran it without the battery based on what you said.
12 Sep 2020 08:35 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart