facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly

• sgarvin0711
  • sgarvin0711's Avatar Topic Author

1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly was created by sgarvin0711

How do I get these things apart? I couldn't find any good videos. The best one I found, he used some kind of shock compressor, which I dont have. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
06 Jul 2020 20:37 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by swm on topic 1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly

Post a photo of shock. If YM1 is same as YDS3 I can walk you thru disassembly.
Thanks
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
06 Jul 2020 21:09 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic 1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly

I'd be surprised if they can be totally dismantled right into the damper insides. But to get the spring off id guess set the adjuster on softest then with the top held horizontally in a vice pull the spring towards you enough to get a spanner in to the locknut against the top. The top might have a roll pin through the shaft to remove as well. All a bit of a guess thinking back 50 years. If you can't pull the spring away from the top then you'll have to try levering it down but be very careful doing that as screwdrivers pushed in at the top will try to escape & get you for sure.
07 Jul 2020 01:06 #3

Morley,
You're definitely on target as the fun begins removing roll pin in top section!!
:Buds

sgarvin0711,
1965 parts diagram shows YM1 & YDS3 rear shock with same part number, I've disassembled YDS3.
As RT325 stated first step is removing roll pin w/small punch. Top section is threaded and screws off. Next the top cover (red) is also threaded and removed (may need Kroil or other penetrating oil on threads if stuck). The chrome spring cover and adjuster are easily lifted & removed. (2nd photo shows damper with covers removed).
Next is the challenging task (at least for me) to open the damper as RT325 said probably not designed to be serviced - see where crimped in pic 3. I used small punch to push crimp out, then spanner wrench to remove the fine and VERY tight threads. If not getting new chrome this task may not be needed.
Your YM1 shock may be different from YDS3 - and these only pics I took during disassembly.
Good luck!!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, KennyV, nhsteve
07 Jul 2020 08:31 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• sgarvin0711

Replied by sgarvin0711 on topic 1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly

Wow! What a job! I am trying to do a full resto on this thing, but now wonder if this part is worth it. How do I judge if the shocks are good? Maybe they just need to be cleaned up and painted?
07 Jul 2020 12:59 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic 1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly

'swm', i'm definitely 'not' onto it & should've kept out of it until you showed your hand haha. I felt sure it'd be completely rolled over around the top. Live & learn--All good.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm
07 Jul 2020 14:15 #6

sgarvin0711,
Really not that big of job to get shock disassembled down to damper assembly. If your chrome is OK then; a) polish it, b) don't disassemble damper; and c) paint the upper cover - you're good to go...
My shocks were heavily pitted w/rust and spring cans rusted thru is why I replaced cans, re-chromed & painted. While 1965 YM1/YDS3 parts numbers are the same I've seen another damper assembly where it was crimped full circle where mine only in one spot. That full circle crimp would be tough to tackle.
Other members are more knowledgeable than me, but if shocks appear to have normal movement and damper not leaking fluid that's about it.
Thanks
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
07 Jul 2020 14:23 #7

• sgarvin0711

Replied by sgarvin0711 on topic 1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly

I think I'm going to take the easy road on this one. They are actually in pretty good shape for how long they were sitting. Should be able to clean them up easily. And if there is a problem with them, it's easy enough to take them off to work in them. Thanks for the replies! I can't tell you how much this forum has helped me so far.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
07 Jul 2020 17:51 #8

Replied by nhsteve on topic 1965 YM1 Rear shock disassembly

Appreciating the thread here also, as I have a '65 YM1 also. I doubt the shocks are very sophisticated internally. If there ever were replaceable bits inside I doubt one could find them easily.

Here are a couple of pics of mine from when I got it from the second owner (who was related to the first).

The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, KennyV
08 Jul 2020 06:41 #9

This message has attachments images.

Steve,
Nice and very complete YM1, really like the original patina!!

You're spot on regarding the rear shock bottom end not being serviceable, it's just a damper rod w/couple of other bits in fluid - no springs. I only disassembled rear shocks as they badly needed new chrome. Nowhere near condition of your YM1.

Thanks
08 Jul 2020 13:45 #10

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart