facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Tacho internals

• wayno
  • wayno's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Tacho internals was created by wayno

Finally got to the stage of trying to restart my dt400c, started fine after a few good kicks but the tacho/rev counter was sticking and erratic. Upon inspection I could see the piece that the cable screws onto was loose. Stripped the clock and can see that it has come away from the bracket, I have used a bit of araldite to glue it back and is working at the moment, how long for I don't know. For future reference if it doesn't work, are all the counter internals the same as in the framework so I can try and source a damaged one.
Cheers Wayne.
01 Jul 2020 02:57 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DEET on topic Tacho internals

No one knows for sure, but since it is not a precision instrument, it doesn't really matter.

MY OPINION: They are NOT all the same.
If they were, the "0", "5000" and "10,000" marks would all be in the same location on the faces.
For example....1974 DT360 vs. 1975 DT400..... they have different numbers at the 12:00 position. If the internal mechanism was the same, the numbers would be the same.

Another thought.... let's say the difference is in the tach drive. Maybe Yamaha couldn't make the drive gearing work out so that one RPM of the tach cable was the same as all the other bikes. They then had to get Nippon Seiki to make special faces or mechanisms to match.

Whatever the case may be, there are different 0-5-10 points on some of the faces.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, HouseofEnduro
01 Jul 2020 07:01 #2

• wayno
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by wayno on topic Tacho internals

thanks for the reply, I was hoping to be able to just use the tacho drive which is attached to the "U" shaped bracket and the rest being my originals. going to have to look for a damaged dt400 tacho.
02 Jul 2020 01:17 #3

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Tacho internals

Not a promise and I'd need to check, but I might have a working one knocking around in the garage somewhere - the 74 to 76 DT250, 360 and 400 all shared that part.

Let me know if you're interested.

Edit - and I am in the UK!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: wayno
Last edit: 02 Jul 2020 01:47 by Gr8uncleal.
02 Jul 2020 01:46 #4

• wayno
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

that would be great.
02 Jul 2020 03:29 #5

Replied by yamahoper on topic Tacho internals

I have had the same issue with several meters. I tried to find a repair I did and posted pictures... could not locate. I used some washers and some longer screws that hold the mechanism to the cup. It seemed to be a good fix. My first attempt was like yours with glue. Its still holding but my confidence is not great on its longevity.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: wayno
02 Jul 2020 04:10 #6

Replied by yamahoper on topic Tacho internals

Found the picture on my desktop
The washer needed some notching for the screws to get by. I used a hand grinder.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, wayno
02 Jul 2020 04:17 #7

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Wayne

Do you want to try this repair first?

Alan
02 Jul 2020 23:38 #8

• wayno
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I think yamahoper had a different problem, the 2 screws hold the cup to the bracket just fine. my issue is the tacho drive has come away from the internal "u" shaped bracket which is then screwed to the cup, should have taken a pic before reassembly.
03 Jul 2020 04:07 #9

OK.

Here's the one I got from the US for my DT360A.

My original one had sand or suchlike in it and I assumed that it would be a goner. However, after fitting the replacement to my bike, I arsed around with the original and think that it's probably now ok (I'll need to double check that).

I don't know how the condition compares to your speedo - obviously you don't want a mismatched pair. Anyway, post here what you think.

03 Jul 2020 04:46 #10

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart