facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Your Chain Lube of Choice.

• mdscott
  • mdscott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by mdscott on topic Your Chain Lube of Choice.

I know of a fellow that never lubes his o-ring chain, cleans it every once in awhile then squirts WD40 to stop rust. He rides his dirt bike a lot and the chain has lasted.
My old Bultaco Alpina swing-arm could be filled with oil and you could adjust the amount of oil dripping on the chain. The early CB750 the oil would fling out of the counter shaft sprocket. And then there was my old Norton, it had a chain oiler, like it really needed one, because it never leaked oil. :ROFLOL
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, darinm
03 Jun 2020 07:50 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Your Chain Lube of Choice.

I may have found something new (to me). I ride a bicycle every day, and I just finished up 1,000 miles in the month of May. I took the last two days off and serviced the bike, including removing the chain, cleaning it (and the cassette and sprockets) with first WD-40 and then Brakleen. While I waiting for the Brakleen to dry/drip off, I, ahem, read the directions on the can. :Ugh
It says to let it dry for 30-60 minutes! Imagine that! Who'd a thought! So I did. And all the liquid dissipated before I could load it up with dirt, leaving nothing but the dry slippery stuff. I rode it 28 miles this AM, and it looks precisely the same as it did when I lubed it yesterday. Dry and dirt-free. And it's not squealing at all yet. I may try this on a Yammie and see what happens WHEN I FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

Edit: Uh...I failed to mention the lube I was using after the Brakleen: Liquid Wrench Chain Lube. That's the one says let it dry 30-60 minutes. Geez. Sorry about that chief...
www.harborfreight.com/chain-lubricant-93396.html
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, mdscott, Wax
Last edit: 07 Jun 2020 06:47 by Mothersbaugh.
03 Jun 2020 13:24 #12

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Yamahamadingdong on topic Your Chain Lube of Choice.

I just use the Yamalube stuff currently. But I've only ever used it once so I can't say if it's magical or just plain stuff really.

I had a friend that used WD40 on literally anything mechanical, and swore by it.
07 Jun 2020 06:08 #13

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart