facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1965 YM1 from fork question

22 May 2020 19:33
sgarvin0711
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1965 YM1 from fork question #1
I have the front forks completely disassembled. The inner tube on both sides seems to have a buildup of heavy corrosion (picture attached). My question is if this is something that I should attempt to grind down? Part of me thinks that I should never grind on that tube to avoid it not fitting in the seal. Does this look so bad that I should get new tubes? What do you think?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 May 2020 21:59
Mothersbaugh
Collector
Collector
More
1965 YM1 from fork question #2
I don't know your bike. But if the rusted part is concealed by the headlight ears, I might brass brush it on a wire wheel and leave it. If it's in an area over which the seal will pass, I'd be looking for new tubes, as you will be leaking again in no time.
The following user(s) Liked this Post mdscott

23 May 2020 12:49
sgarvin0711
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
1965 YM1 from fork question #3

Mothersbaugh wrote: I don't know your bike. But if the rusted part is concealed by the headlight ears, I might brass brush it on a wire wheel and leave it. If it's in an area over which the seal will pass, I'd be looking for new tubes, as you will be leaking again in no time.

Yeah... unfortunately this is a part that goes through the seal.

23 May 2020 13:21
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1965 YM1 from fork question #4

sgarvin0711 wrote:

Mothersbaugh wrote: I don't know your bike. But if the rusted part is concealed by the headlight ears, I might brass brush it on a wire wheel and leave it. If it's in an area over which the seal will pass, I'd be looking for new tubes, as you will be leaking again in no time.

Yeah... unfortunately this is a part that goes through the seal.

Use electrical tape to cover the rusted pitted area, then remove after the seal is in.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX220
'68 YG5T 80 Trailmaster
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart