facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Petcock troubleshooting advice

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replied by Lizeec on topic Petcock troubleshooting advice

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=392632919424&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Petcock troubleshooting advice

You can go down to the dealer and buy new spark plugs that come in a Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, or whatever vehicle manufacturer branded box... those are "OE" parts... "Original Equipment".

Or most of the time you can look at the brand and part number on the spark plug and buy it someplace else at a lower price in the Spark Plug Manufacturer branded box... those are "OEM" parts... "Original Equipment Manufacturer".

Then there's the aftermarket parts... sometimes advertised to "meet original manufacturer specs" which they may or may not do... there's no real standard to follow or enforcement.

Most petcocks that don't come in a Yamaha box are "aftermarket"... and sometimes of dubious quality.

yamahoper came across a nice OEM petcock... for less than half the price of one in a Yamaha box. :OnFire
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
11 Apr 2020 16:40 #32

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Yamahamadingdong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Yamahamadingdong on topic Petcock troubleshooting advice

I am weird in that I want as much things on the bike, especially mechanical related, to be Yamaha OEM stuff straight from them. I will check the petcock out there and see if there's magical emblems to clue me in on what is on mine,

I'm already mad the Barkbuster handguards I put on have the damn Barkbuster's logo across them. Damn branding. They were too nice otherwise!

I might epoxy over it and slap Yamaha decals, on. lol. Gotta see if the one I ordered off the internet looks OK. I think it belongs on the Gas tank, so it may be too big.
11 Apr 2020 18:39 #33

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

went and looked.

mine has no magical logos on it. Must be a cheapo knockoff.

Booooooo.
11 Apr 2020 23:44 #34

Replied by ajhuxley on topic Petcock troubleshooting advice

Seems like theres a lot of discussion on Petcocks, hoping someone can help me decide whether to buy a OE seal and rebuild or buy complete pattern petcock.

My petcock wont turn off completely, it drips fuel into carb hose in off posiiton. I dismantled it and only visible wear was on the 4 holed rubber valve/seal. given the petcock is 40 yrs old, is replacing this valve with OEM likely to solve the issue? ( i noted a spring washer which seemed ok but would this weaken after 40 yrs and effect the sealing)
Or should I purchase a complete pattern petcock? The OE seal and a pattern petcock are almost same price. I looked at the Yambits part (see picture), anyone comment on the quality or recommend a good pattern part for a 1980 dt175mx

I think Id prefer to rebuild and keep original but is it likely to work!

Cheers
Adrian
1980 DT175mx - 99% original and untouched!
1981 RD350LC - restored
1980 CB750fa - restored
1982 GS550Ez - rolling resto
25 Apr 2020 06:31 #35

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Petcock troubleshooting advice

I have rebuilt 7 or 8 of those petcocks over the years, from a 1969 AT-1 through a 1975 DT125, and none leaked after the cleaning and replacement of parts. I'd suggest replacing the valve to which you refer and any other rubber parts you encounter, as if you disturb the 40-year-old fit of other rubber parts not leaking right now, they may leak on re-assembly. The rubber is just to age-hardened to reseal. If you remove the petcock from the tank (obviously drain the tank first), you may want to replace the rubber seal petcock-to-tank and also the fiber washers that seal the two mounting screws.
While it's apart, I soak the metal pieces in my can of carb cleaner. Use pipe cleaners or Q-tips to rout out passageways.
Replacing the whole unit is cheaper, but I like having it all original.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: ajhuxley
Last edit: 25 Apr 2020 06:46 by Mothersbaugh.
25 Apr 2020 06:46 #36

Replied by ajhuxley on topic Petcock troubleshooting advice

thanks, my DT is totally original so rebuilding is my preferred option. I already had the petcock off, cleaned it up and put it back with no other leaks appearing so hopefully just changing the 4 holed rubber will work
1980 DT175mx - 99% original and untouched!
1981 RD350LC - restored
1980 CB750fa - restored
1982 GS550Ez - rolling resto
25 Apr 2020 11:15 #37

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=392632919424&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart