facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

AT2 Replacement Points

• Bikenut71
  • Bikenut71's Avatar Topic Author

AT2 Replacement Points was created by Bikenut71

I'm finishing up the rebuild on my AT2 engine. I put in a set of replacement points and quickly noticed the rubbing block doesn't contact the cam at all. I tried it with the adjustment screw on the contacts both all the way in and all the way out with no luck. The replacement looks identical to the set that was in there so I'm a little stumped by this. Am I being stupid and missing something obvious? The block on the new set actually looks longer than the old so it seems like they should fit no problem. They're made by Union Contacts Industry, part # PS-94.

As a side note, the points cam has some significant pitting on it. I lightly smoothed things out with some 1000 grit. Any opinions on if it's okay to run that way? Thanks.
21 Mar 2020 17:52 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic AT2 Replacement Points

Can only think they're sitting in the wrong hole. Is there another close by--screw wouldn't find a thread though so cancel that thought. Is it electric start as ours down here were all magneto for the AT2. Mind you if the points look the same then gotta work. They won't touch the cam until the lumpy bit comes around. Set the piston at 1.8mm & let the points rest on the cam & tighten so they are just cracking at that point. Out of ideas though sorry.
21 Mar 2020 18:04 #2

Replied by Makotosun on topic AT2 Replacement Points

I had some issues early on with non-OEM brushes. I did find a source in I believe Singapore that proved compatible. I don’t recall if the original service manuals (in the tech section) had length specs, but you might start there.

Here is the Singapore seller:

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F372959596333
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 04:38 by Makotosun.
22 Mar 2020 04:34 #3

Replied by DEET on topic AT2 Replacement Points

Lots of folks buy the wrong points for the AT1.
If the old ones fit and the new ones don't, compare the two.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
22 Mar 2020 08:16 #4

• Bikenut71
  • Bikenut71's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Bikenut71 on topic AT2 Replacement Points

Well, after scratching my head over this, I finally worked out a solution. The two sets looked identical but I noticed the new set was a tight fit, tighter than the originals. I broke out the Dremel and removed some material from the inner curve of the point's base plate, which butts up against a small retaining ridge on the yoke assembly . That allowed the set to fit better, but more importantly it moved everything just a bit closer to the cam, enough so they would open properly. Set the timing to 1.8mm BTDC at full advance and the gap at 13 thou. I should know later this week if she runs. Thanks for the help
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
22 Mar 2020 12:12 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart