facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Filtering your 2T oil

• shyted
  • shyted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Filtering your 2T oil was created by shyted

Quick one.
I have searched the forum for the posts regarding this little subject.
Who was it who put a filter in the line of their two stroke oil line?
What size and type of filter did they use?
I have been cleaning my 2T oil tank out after it was blasted/painted. Pain in the arse ,but got it to the point where there's virtually no crap coming out .
Err one and a half days of patience, pouring white spirit in,shake it up,empty it out into a clean white tub ,so i can see the particles.
Been filtering the spirits out with a diesel fuel filter so clean stuff goes back in. Clean the tub ,repeat ,on and on.
So,don't want to take the chance of running the oil in through the pump .
Not my choice to blast it but...
Thanks Dave.
22 Jan 2020 10:24 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Filtering your 2T oil

Search for posts by GFrench and/or DEET... I think DEET has the filters and Greg installed one on the Black Widow after a problem?
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., shyted
22 Jan 2020 10:54 #2

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Filtering your 2T oil

Here you go Dave!

I raised the same question a while back and MarkT pointed me this way.

All the best.

Alan

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/gene...-autolube-oil-filter
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
22 Jan 2020 11:48 #3

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by shyted on topic Filtering your 2T oil

Cheers men. It was the black widow that had run dry due to a blockage and survived unscathed. I couldn't think who's bike it was .
Never the less,i knew i'd seen something.
Job done ,filters on the way
23 Jan 2020 01:03 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Filtering your 2T oil

You probably know this already Dave, but just in case you didn't, there is likely to be a metal gauze type filter inside your oil tank, just before the exit point. Difficult, if not impossible, to see from the outside, so flush your tank from that point as well.

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs!!

Alan
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
23 Jan 2020 02:48 #5

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Hi Alan.
Well if there was one there or is one there,it's U/S or the grit is so fine it's passing it. I would think the larger bits that came out would have been stopped though and clogged it. I cleaned it out first when it came back when there was no sight glass in and got loads of crap out. I could wipe it out with a rag there was that much in the recesses.I expect,it's grit that's stuck into the metal in certain places. Going to spend another few hours on it till it runs clean as the filters are going to be there as a back up.
Thank's anyway Alan.
23 Jan 2020 09:42 #6

Replied by FrankC on topic Filtering your 2T oil

If the tank is.still out perhaps a good pressure washing?
23 Jan 2020 13:35 #7

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Not a bad idea Frank and it has crossed my mind but i thought better of it due to the fresh paint on it.
So back to the white spirit,in,out,filter,rinse and repeat.
Dave
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
24 Jan 2020 00:18 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Filtering your 2T oil

I just wanted to mention that the concern I'd have is restricting the inlet to the pump so probably not a paper or porous bronze fuel filter but one with a simple strainer screen... or one specifically designed for two stroke oil filtering.

The visu-filter shown in the other thread is the screen type... sometimes hard to find so just wanted to mention that the "screen type" is preferred. You could always fill the tank with a measured amount of two stroke oil and time how long it takes to drain by gravity with and without your chosen filter installed if using something different.

Yamaha two stroke boat engines used filters in the two stroke oil tank lines... that might be another source for a filter?
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC, shyted
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 06:25 by MarkT.
24 Jan 2020 05:37 #9

Replied by nutt on topic Filtering your 2T oil

I thought I covered EVERY safeguard in finishing my DT2 now this comes up. At first I second guessed myself, then realized I cleaned the oil tank very well, new lines, rebuilt pump, calibrated, and bleed. Started it up and everything seems to be working fine. Now, after rethinking my rethinking, I'm okay with it without a filter. I think a filter could become restricted over time and I'll forget to change it. You'd have to have a fairly rusted tank to have concerns with crap in the system. If everything is clean, no worries.
24 Jan 2020 08:01 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart