facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT2 Tank Disaster

• htw123hotmail
  • htw123hotmail's Avatar Topic Author

DT2 Tank Disaster was created by htw123hotmail

had my DT2 tank sandblasted recently and the outer neck, which turned out to be pot metal, disintegrated. the inner neck sleeve, which is steel, is fine, but now I can't use my gas cap! anything I can do short of getting a new tank?

thanks!
Last edit: 18 Jan 2020 10:48 by htw123hotmail. Reason: duplicate pics
18 Jan 2020 10:46 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by YAMABOBINTEXAS on topic DT2 Tank Disaster

If it turns out you can't salvage it, I have a used tank that is straight but needs to be painted that I could sell you. It's premiered right now. Here's a couple of pictures of it. PM me if interested.

YAMABOB
18 Jan 2020 11:05 #2

This message has attachments images.

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic DT2 Tank Disaster

The outer portion that holds the gas cap came off of one of mine while soaking in phosphoric acid. It is low grade metal.

I like the original cap design on the '71 and earlier tanks.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
18 Jan 2020 11:50 #3

Replied by Elpho on topic DT2 Tank Disaster

Depends whether you just want a restored bike, or are in this for the technical challenge. It would be possible to machine up a ring in steel, braze on the extensions and then grind and file the necessary shapes. A Dremmel would be handy. Then attach with JB Weld. It would be a slow process but very satisfying.
18 Jan 2020 11:55 #4

Replied by Super90 on topic DT2 Tank Disaster

YAMAHABOBINTEXAS, if the first guys doesn't want the tank I'll take it. I need one bad now as the "liner" the POV put in the tank has all come loose and I discovered that my tank is full of rust. ouch. I tried the messaging system but could not get it to work so....my e-mail is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. thanks, tim in florida.
18 Jan 2020 12:34 #5

I just sent you a PM Tim.

YAMABOB
18 Jan 2020 12:47 #6

Replied by Super90 on topic DT2 Tank Disaster

Photos of my DT3 tank disaster. Taken today. When I bought the bike it appeared that the "liner" material on the left inside was coming loose. I never tried to clean out the tank being worried about what might happen. But, I am having to change inline fuel filters a lot and clean the carb a lot I thought I would clean it out. When I dumped the remaining fuel out into a bucket I was astounded at the dirt and trash that was lurking behind the loose liner. I tried to remove it and was able to gently keep tugging on the liner and after several hours. I had removed what you see here. I have rinsed it out multiple times, blown it out with air and it is "pretty" clean but I think so much rust came out attached to the liner that my tank won't last long. I want to be a good neighbor here so if the first guy wants the tank bob has then let him have it...but if not, well, you see what I have and it ain't pretty. No wonder my filters and carb kept getting loaded up. Oh well, I still love this bike!
18 Jan 2020 12:57 #7

This message has attachments images.

The original poster of this thread is a newbie on the forum so not sure what his habits are about checking in on this site. I'll send mim a PM later and if I don't get a response, I'll reach out to you.

YAMABOB
18 Jan 2020 13:13 #8

• htw123hotmail
  • htw123hotmail's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by htw123hotmail on topic DT2 Tank Disaster

I do too. I wouldn't mind converting it if I could get the outer neck.
18 Jan 2020 13:31 #9

Replied by MarkT on topic DT2 Tank Disaster

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=222780189902&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart