facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Aluminum clutch basket removing from gear drive possible ?

• Wessi
  • Wessi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Maybe some of you have tried already. The Aluminum basket on my DT 250B is worn after 32000Km. I purchased a NOS basket, but the gear drive doesn´t match to my primary gear wheel. Obviously the basket is being 3 parts riveted together with 3 bolts. My question: is it possible the divide the 3 parts, so I can use the new Aluminum basket with the old gear drive? How could the bolts be removed without damaging any parts ? (pressing, heat.. ?).
Looking forward for your answers.
16 Dec 2019 22:51 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I'd go back to using the old one despite the slight wear marks & especially if it was working normally. Otherwise maybe get the matching crank gear & then if it alters your overall gearing by enough to bother you just change the final drive sprocket by a tooth one way or other depending. Looks like the new one has a tooth or two more so lower gearing at the front sprocket so add a tooth to that might be about right. Actually that's probably overdoing it [one tooth] but maths isn't my strong point. I've got a clutch drum from an RM250 that i'll get a pic of sometime & you'll be impressed [not] as it's about 1/4 of the way across in how far it's grooved but surprisingly still operated ok but really was very 'past it'
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., FrankC
17 Dec 2019 04:00 #2

Found my RM one. Ok, not 1/4 way across but pretty bad lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250
17 Dec 2019 14:29 #3

• Wessi
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ok, I just did it because the new basket was there anyway. First bored the 8mm rivets, then the clutch is split. I ordered new rivets 8 x 20mm and made the half-round head flat on my lathe (head 12,5mm diameter x 2.4mm thick) After I made a tool, where the rivets heads have molds to fit in. Whole clutch is strained into the tool to bring basket against the counter plate. There is a coup spring which has to be 100% strained flat, otherwise the distance bushings over the rivets have clearance. Then hammer the rivets half-round and finally take care, they do not look over the gear wheel . Hope I could help somebody, who wants to do the same.
Tool is for sale including 3 rivets...
14 Jan 2020 08:40 #4

• Wessi
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Elpho
14 Jan 2020 08:41 #5

There ya go! Good work :OnFire
1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1947 Mustang
1974 Suzuki TC185
14 Jan 2020 08:55 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart