facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Newbie to the forum

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Newbie to the forum

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

14 May 2023 09:55 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rsmith56
  • rsmith56's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by rsmith56 on topic Newbie to the forum

Update: I have been riding it some, about 80 miles total. Each time I park it, it marks its spot with a few drops of oil. Had no drips prior to having the clutch replaced by dealer. Finally thought it could be time to check oil level. It showed over full on side stand, stick screwed out. Dealer did change oil. Aha! Tied bike up straight, and began to remove oil with syringe and tubing, removed about 80 to 90 cc to get level down to top mark. Guessing they dumped in an entire quart,

My question is: could the overfill cause my drips? Could not really see any oil in transmission breather tube.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2023 12:09 by rsmith56.
29 Jul 2023 12:08 #22

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Newbie to the forum

Check to see if the oil drain plug is tight.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
29 Jul 2023 12:52 #23

• rsmith56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

It is neither damp, nor oily. It is dry as surrounding area of cases. Oil seems to be coming from high on the rear of engine. However, I will check it. Thanks.
29 Jul 2023 18:39 #24

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Newbie to the forum

The transmission breather tube exits over the rear of the engine.  Is it coming from there?

An overfill could certainly cause it to overspill the breather because more oil is getting flung around and therefore more oil mist is created inside the tranny case.  It could then coalesce into drips within the breather tube.

I will bet any money that the techie who overfilled your oil drained it on its sidestand.  That will not drain the transmission fully.  If he then dumped in the specified amount of oil and did not bother to check it on the stick.  Voila. One overfilled transmission.

If a clutch is slipping, the very first thing to check, esp after a long lay up is that the cable is not binding and the actuator is not partially seized or misadjusted.  At 350 miles, it is very unlikely to be faulty clutch plates (unless the clutch cable was binding or misadjusted previously 

).

Even a cable that feels free off the bike can bind up internally under pressure. 
The only time I have ever encountered organic clutch friction discs going bad over time is when they have suffered water contamination.
30 Jul 2023 05:37 #25

• rsmith56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Got the bike up on the lift table. Oil drain plug was tight. Apparently not leaking. Checked breather tube, but no sign of liquid/ oil. Overflow autolube tube did have some oil drips. Checked tank level, not completely full. Used my finger to find the opening to the overflow. Oil level was a little higher than it. Drew about 20cc to get it below. Cleaned off all oil from engine that I could with shop towels. Took it for about a 20 minute ride.; various speeds and gears in 98f heat. Parked it with white shop towel underneath. 5 hours later and no drips.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, AirborneSilva, Ht1kid
30 Jul 2023 18:53 #26

• rsmith56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks to all for help and advice! Try to read all the posts on a daily basis. There is so much knowledge available here.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61
31 Jul 2023 18:58 #27

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart