facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 Yamaha DT100 no spark

• Steven86
  • Steven86's Avatar Topic Author

1974 Yamaha DT100 no spark was created by Steven86

I cant seem to get spark on my bike no matter what I try. I've replaced the ignition coil, points, condenser, and checked all the wiring. I'm thinking the ignition coil I purchased on Ebay might be faulty. Is it true that these bikes will only spark with a "high output" coil? If so can someone direct me in the proper direction to find one? Thanks
30 May 2019 16:10 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 1974 Yamaha DT100 no spark

Sounds like the only thing you've not replaced is the source coil which is where the voltage is produced in the first place. No-one will like my rough ideas but to prove a point on a similar bike i had i powered it from one of the lighting wires but had to cut the source wire where it went to the condenser, then hook the lighting at the top of the mag loom over to the black to feed back down & that black also goes direct to the plug coil. I had 3 choices of lighting voltage & lowest was best as the yellow just about welded the points together haha. Confused? i am!! Actualy sent the bike back to the farmer like that as didn't want to spend any money. Reminds me i sold another like that many years ago just as a kids play bike. With yours i'm saying have the mag loom unhooked from main loom so the black is all you want & sent it to the plug coil but consider my options mentioned just to try. Pain in the bum having to disconnect the source coil from condenser though. I'd guess Ohms test for source coil would only be about 1.5 ohms, i have it somewhere so will find it later but not a specific science testing those. Make sure your points are connected properly first & not going to earth. Wire must be insulated through to the points spring arm.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Steven86
Last edit: 30 May 2019 16:29 by RT325.
30 May 2019 16:29 #2

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic 1974 Yamaha DT100 no spark

When I completed the rebuild on my 74 DT 100, I had spark but couldn't get it to run at all, not a cough. I too had bought a new coil. I put the old coil back on and it started first kick.

However, you have no spark at all. Leads me to believe you have a short. Can you disconnect the engine cutoff switch and try again? All that switch does is ground out the electric which causes no spark to shut off motor.

Also, did you remove the engine and paint the frame? If so, did you sand the paint off the frame where the engine contacts the frame so electricity runs though the bike?

Finally, what's the status of the battery? Is it broken internally?
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
30 May 2019 16:33 #3

• Steven86

Replied by Steven86 on topic 1974 Yamaha DT100 no spark

I have tried taking the engine shut off switch out of the equation and still no spark. And to my knowledge the motor has never been removed. The battery that came with it was old and dead and I haven't replaced it yet. It's my understanding that the battery is not required for this bike to start, is this correct?
30 May 2019 16:41 #4

Yep, battery not required on a magneto system, but between all our ideas hopefully you'll get back and say she runs soon.
30 May 2019 16:48 #5

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic 1974 Yamaha DT100 no spark

Someone may correct me, but I know the bikes will start with a dead battery, but if the battery is connected but seriously deteriorated internally, it could cause an electric issue.

When I rebuilt my 76, I also had no spark. DEET had rebuilt my stator, so I knew it was good to go. However, when I reinstalled it, I pinched a harness wire between the stator plate and the engine case without knowing it. The pinch was enough to break the insulation and the copper was touching the engine case, causing a short. Once this was found, I fixed it and had no more problem with spark.
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Last edit: 30 May 2019 16:54 by Midlife Motor.
30 May 2019 16:53 #6

• Steven86

Hopefully so. I may just dig into the wiring harness and check for damage, or just replace it. Also my new coil is reading 2.9 ohms on the plug side while my old coil is reading nearly 6 ohms. Does that mean my new coil is substantial enough?
30 May 2019 16:56 #7

Pinched wires yes, good point, but no the battery doesn't relate to magneto in any way sorry. Different story on electric start 100's or 125's but they're all 12 volt. Talking older 100's rotary valve type though. cheers.
30 May 2019 16:58 #8

• Steven86

Good idea. I'll remove my stator plate tomorrow and check for any issues. Thank you guys.
30 May 2019 17:03 #9

• Steven86

So I had time this afternoon to remove the stator plate and the wiring behind it looks good. No pinched wires or missing insulation. I reinstalled the plate, flywheel, and checked my points and kicked it over, still nothing. I'm at a loss for where to look next.
31 May 2019 13:58 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart