facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT 400, how to de-install decompression cable

• Wessi
  • Wessi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
New to me DT 400 has a stuck cable, maybe inside its rusty. I managed to de-install the cylinder unit of the cable, but how to release the cable from the Kickstarter side? Have about 2cm play, where i can see the wire cable. On Ebay pictures i saw the end of the wire is a small barrel, which hooks in on Kickstarter side. Is it necessary to de-install the clutch cover ?
Do you have found any source where i can buy  a new cable ?
Regards from Germany
22 Mar 2024 05:26 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by pahiker on topic DT 400, how to de-install decompression cable

Found this, but it's pretty expensive. Had to put a * to get the paste to take, odd.

*https://www.ebay.com/itm/125980355468
1973 Yamaha RT3
2024 Suzuki DR650
2023 Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Pro
22 Mar 2024 06:46 #2

Replied by Snglsmkr on topic DT 400, how to de-install decompression cable

The clutch cover removal is required to detach the kick-start end of the cable. 
22 Mar 2024 16:51 #3

• Wessi
  • Wessi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thank you very much.  I will remove the cover and think I will make my cable myself.
23 Mar 2024 22:05 #4

Replied by turbodan on topic DT 400, how to de-install decompression cable

I have had it come out without removing the clutch cover exactly one time. I was working on the other end of the cable at the decompressor and the cable was pushed in by mistake, and it immediately popped free inside the side cover with no effort whatsoever. This added probably 45 minutes to a completely unrelated and simple job.

Every other time I have attempted to remove this cable without pulling the side cover it proved to be impossible. Also take care not to actuate the kick lever with the cable disconnected, the lever inside the side cover will drop down and can be broken by the decompressor cam on the kick starter shaft.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Wessi
24 Mar 2024 15:05 #5

Without looking i wonder if, with lots of free cable at the bottom so you can see down in there--i guess it fits into an arm with a slot. So if you can see the slot & manipulate the cable angle it might pop out & reverse order to pop new one in. That was easy wasn't it--in my dreams!!.
Ok here's a parts drawing from cmsl & looks a simple release just down & away. Of course may not be quite like that.
Only a pic link just hit the link.
photos.app.goo.gl/1itzxmpzUC1vQ8EGA

Last edit: 24 Mar 2024 17:19 by RT325.
24 Mar 2024 17:09 #6

Replied by turbodan on topic DT 400, how to de-install decompression cable

That's pretty much it. I think the big obstacle is that the arm usually drops down with the cable if you push the cable in to release it. If the arm were held up the cable could be pushed down and out.
24 Mar 2024 18:41 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart