facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dt400 twin shock leak testing

• Jammyyammy
  • Jammyyammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Dt400 twin shock leak testing was created by Jammyyammy

Hi all, with renewed enthusiasm, I’m going to attempt another leak test on my DT400 twin shock.
The last time I did this (over 12 months ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy), I tried various methods to try to seal the exhaust port, but with limited success. 
The exhaust port is circular only at the very outlet of the casting, so a rubber bung/plug probably won’t work? (I must admit that I didn’t try that method).
I made a thin metal blanking plate then put the exhaust back on (including an exhaust gasket), but then I remember it was very difficult to get the plate centralised and also very difficult to check (with soapy water spray) if the joint was fully sealed or not.
So, then I made a thick metal plate (including an exhaust gasket) - and fitted it without the exhaust, but I remember that the plate bent before I could get it to seal.
Before I have another attempt, fail, then hide the bike away for another 12 months….., has anyone done this with success and if so, what was your method please?
I guess that last method was my best attempt. Maybe I should try again, but with an o-ring or make a gasket so that it compresses easier than an actual exhaust gasket?
Edit.. I've just found a 56mm x 6mm neoprene rubber 'blank' washer on ebay (the 'recess' for the exhaust gasket on the cylinder block is just less than 5mm). So, unless anyone can advise otherwise, I'm probably going to try that, along with a large flat metal plate with two holes in it for the exhaust bolts, some sealant? and not too much graunching of the nuts!
Many Thanks
Last edit: 07 Jul 2023 07:11 by Jammyyammy.
07 Jul 2023 04:57 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by nhsteve on topic Dt400 twin shock leak testing

I had the same problem wanting to do the test on a DT360A (similar output port configuration) with an old MotionPro test set after a full rebuild. Was never really convinced I had it truly sealed there. Finally shrugged my shoulders and started it up. It's been ok, but I would be real interested in your solution to that setup problem.
07 Jul 2023 07:20 #2

Replied by Clegg on topic Dt400 twin shock leak testing

i just performed the leak down on my R5 and DT400. Best to remove exhaust at the head and I used 1/4" plywood with some 1/4" closed cell foam. The wood is easy to shape, make it like the exhaust collar and slide on with the nuts. Sounds half assed but it works and very easy to do. Foam like the underlayment for pergo flooring would work if you can find a small piece.

You can get a 2'x2' of the plywood at home depot.

I am always thinking a new to me cycle won't have leaks and now perform a compression test and leak down on all of them.
1971 SL350, 1973 Bultaco Matador, 1978 XS650, 1979 MX175, 1982 XT250, 1982 GS650, 1982 CB450T HAWK, 1979 IT175, 1977 Suzuki TS185
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
Last edit: 07 Jul 2023 10:59 by Clegg.
07 Jul 2023 10:55 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart