facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

wheel balancing

• manchester
  • manchester's Avatar Topic Author

wheel balancing was created by manchester

Im sure this info is here somewhere but I have not run across it yet. While riding my newly restored 1975 dt250 I noticed an obvious rear wheel balance problem. New tires were put on and the rim locks were left in place. It takes about 6 ounces of weight to get the wheel to not settle with the rim locks at the 4 and 8 o'clock position. I would like to remove them hoping that nothing will be negatively effected. I only plan on riding on the street during the summer months.
So,
1 - is it acceptable to remove them completely?
2 - what is the best way to cover the holes in the rim to protect the tube?
3 - did all factory bikes share this problem when riding on the street over 45 mph?
  Thanks to all, Scott
21 Apr 2023 06:28 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic wheel balancing

They keep the tire from slipping on the rim.... and the tire on the rim if you have a flat on the trail and need to limp home.

If you keep tires aired up, you probably will be ok. One old trick is to never run the nut on the valve stem down against the rim. That way if the rim does slip, you'll see the valve stem start to angle from straight up so you can fix it. The nut will keep the valve stem nice and straight... but if tires slips it will rip the tube off the stem... better to have stem be able to move.

Anyway, your dilemma is not unique. My solution is to remove the "cast iron" rimlocks and replace them with Motion Pro LiteLocs... They weigh a fraction of the originals and then it generally doesn't take much weight to balance the wheel.

www.motionpro.com/product/11-0059

You can generally find them cheaper on ebay or Amazon or someplace else online. Make sure you buy the correct size for your rim width if you go this route. I use them on almost all my bikes. I think your bike has a 1.60 on the front and a 1.85 on the rear. (Link above is for the 1.85 width).

Another option is to check at your Yamaha dealer for rim locks from a modern dirt bike... something smaller like a YZ85 might have the same rim widths. Modern factory rim locks are a lot lighter than yours... and while they won't be as light as the Motion Pro, they might be cheaper.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
21 Apr 2023 07:33 #2

• manchester

Replied by manchester on topic wheel balancing

Thanks for the reply.
I understand how rim locks function and how they keep the tire in place in case of a flat if trail riding aggressively etc. Were these bikes all delivered from the factory with the wheels so out of balance that riding at speeds above 50 mph resulted in wheel hop? I spent a great deal of time restoring this bike and have zero intention of taking it off road, its too clean. I will only be taking short trips in and around this tiny village I live in. This bike does not have the so called cast iron rim locks but hard rubber/plastic ones in place. Again, 6 plus ounces of weights just to get it close seems excessive. So my question remains, what are my options to eliminate the rim locks to get closer to a neutral balance.
thanks again, Scott
22 Apr 2023 04:25 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic wheel balancing

When I said "cast iron", it was an exaggerated reference to their weight, they aren't actually made of cast iron, they are just heavy.. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Just take the rim locks out and throw them away if you want to.  Not sure what's best to do about the holes...  you could manufacture a lightweight bolt to keep the look of a rimlock or find something else mechanical like a rubber plug or plastic plug which is what I would do. Piece of aluminum tape? Or do nothing.  The holes really won't hurt anything the way you plan to ride. 

And no, these bikes weren't that bad then and aren't now.  I balance my wheels because it does make for a slightly smoother ride.  I don't recall the factory balancing the wheels at all and they rode fine, even with the rim locks.

If you actually have "wheel hop" at 50 mph, you likely have out-of-round wheels or bad tire(s). It's not uncommon to have or end up with an egg-shaped. wobbly, or off-center wheel.  It doesn't take much to create a bad vibration.  Wheel truing specs are fairly precise.  Anything more than 2 mm runout will definitely be felt...  and 2 mm off center won't be seen without a pointer or dial indicator. 

New tires can be bad, I've had to return one or two... and certainly old ones can vibrate like hell from sitting too long in one position and developing a "flat spot" that is impossible to see by eye.  It can also be tricky to get some tires on the rim properly...  especially with 2 rim locks.  Can be very hard to get the bead to seat evenly around the rim.  I've almost tossed rim locks for that reason. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
22 Apr 2023 06:18 #4

Replied by Schu on topic wheel balancing

The only time I've experienced a near wheel hop condition was when my tire bead wasn't seated properly in the rim.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
22 Apr 2023 06:30 #5

• manchester

Replied by manchester on topic wheel balancing

Thanks for the quick response. I am on my way to an old school motorcycle shop to have them give it a try.
- Scott
22 Apr 2023 07:42 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart