facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT175 with crank shim missing, how to measure replacement?

• nutman
  • nutman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
"I am fairly certain the factory spec for the dimensions between the bearings is 56mm +.05 -.010"
That dimension is for the crank assembly, not for the housing of the crank. 
That knowledge comes from the factory service data sheet. (I have uploaded that one last week, not on the site yet)

Will put the crank in place as you said, and do some more measuring to see how it all lines up. 
But the fly wheel side bearing sits flush the case and the risk of rubbing crank to case remains and from an engineering 
point of view that seems strange.

Last edit: 19 Feb 2022 15:09 by nutman. Reason: quote didn't show up??
19 Feb 2022 15:06 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nutman
  • nutman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
OK, so no further information came in and I continued on gut feeling. The fitting of the new bearing and the crank on the gear-side was very easy. Almost too easy and again raised my concern about movement of the crank. 
So I machined a shim for the flywheel side of 0.6mm stock. After putting the cases together all was left was a bit of 'play' of 0.2mm. 
So no preloading on the bearings. 
15 Apr 2022 21:18 #22

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart