facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT400b Clutch position lever spring issue

• GaryDean
  • GaryDean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Guys
I was out on my 75 400 today and I noticed my clutch handlebar lever was not fully returning to its stop and slacker than normal. I could manually push it back with my fingers while riding, clutch was not slipping or dragging.
When back I assumed it just needed the slack taken up but when I did this it was still lazy and realised cable adjustment was not the fix. under the bike I seen a spring on the clutch position lever that 1 end I can move about with my fingers. when operating the handle bar lever and letting go the position lever does not fully return back as the spring is slack.
I cannot see how the spring part number 19 works on this or were the other slack end should sit to tension the arm the position lever will move up and down about 4mm, I dont know if that is normal or not
any info is appreciated

Last edit: 01 Jan 2022 09:09 by GaryDean. Reason: trying to add pics
01 Jan 2022 08:52 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GaryDean
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by GaryDean on topic DT400b Clutch position lever spring issue

sorry pics wont upload for some reason
01 Jan 2022 08:53 #2

Replied by Jammyyammy on topic DT400b Clutch position lever spring issue

Hmmmm, I can’t post photo’s either. Is it because I’m trying to do it from my phone? Should I fire up the laptop?
01 Jan 2022 10:52 #3

• GaryDean
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

wont work from my laptop either
01 Jan 2022 10:55 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic DT400b Clutch position lever spring issue

Photos are probably because website is out of space again. Lots of info hosted here.  
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
01 Jan 2022 20:17 #5

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic DT400b Clutch position lever spring issue

Spring will never have enough tension to overcome a binding cable so keep that in mind for a start. But my guess is 23 is in a turn too far, maybe half a turn as only get half a tur to lift the arm but if you go past top lift then down the other side to lower the arm you'll get to a point of locking right in against the arm & arm slot. Talking in riddles i know--but grab the arm minus the cable as it sits now--like, unhook cable at the bars the pull arm back at the bottom & see if the arm free play--'is free' to move unhindered. Then have a cuppa & a lie down.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1975/mx400b/clutch 23 in this link
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...clutch-250b-c-400b-c 24 in this link
Last edit: 01 Jan 2022 20:33 by RT325.
01 Jan 2022 20:31 #6

I’ll try to pm you a photo of the position of the spring in my DT400.
Have you taken your clutch cable off (it only takes a few mins), and checked how ‘free’ the inner cable is? I was having similar issues to you.
I held the cable vertically and made a small ‘funnel’ at the top of the cable (with insulation tape) and poured in WD40, pulling and pushing the inner cable up and down until the WD40 came out the bottom, then repeated with ‘light’ oil.
Made a bl00dy mess, but fixed the problem.
02 Jan 2022 00:40 #7

Sending a photo via PM didn’t work either….
02 Jan 2022 00:52 #8

• GaryDean
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Hi Guys
I managed to get an image from a facebook forum for the spring location, it sits on the crank case near a mounting bolt, my spring only just sits on the case now I have re located it however the image sent to me has a lot of spring wire on the case so I suspect I have the wrong spring fitted as its short.
I looked at the cable and this is also a problem as stiff in parts as mentioned above, I wd40 soaked then light oil, it got better but as said the lever spring would never be able to overcome the friction there, I think it could be the cable run is kinked or tight in some areas, but I think a new cable will be required to sort the issue out
02 Jan 2022 08:58 #9

Be careful when buying a replacement clutch cable. I bought two, from two different eBay suppliers, both said they fitted the DT400B, but they were both a couple of inches too short…
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
02 Jan 2022 09:16 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart