facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

'75 DT250-B No lights at all are working

• spudmanDT250
  • spudmanDT250's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by spudmanDT250 on topic '75 DT250-B No lights at all are working

MarkT, I don't know what the markings were on the new flasher...since the seller's instructions said it didn't matter which way the 2 wires were connected.  It's up under the fuel tank now, so I'll take a look next time I have the tank off.  I sent a message to the seller (Pobit) through eBay to see what he thinks, and to ask if it's possible that he may have sent me a defective relay, but I kind of doubt it...only because the OEM relay did the same thing.  Top Jimmy....I'll try to find that video you mentioned on You Tube.  Thanks.
01 Sep 2021 18:58 #131

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic '75 DT250-B No lights at all are working

There are only two possibilities I can think of right now since your lights are coming on solid and correctly with signal switch.  Bad flasher or you connected wrong brown wire to turn signal switch.

Easy test is disconnect flasher.  Do turn signals still light up?  If so, then you don't have the brown/white from flasher connected to handlebar switch correctly.

If turn signals don't light up anymore with flasher unplugged, then flasher is bad or the one you have does care which way it's wired.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack, spudmanDT250
01 Sep 2021 19:31 #132

• spudmanDT250
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks MarkT!  I will disconnect the flasher and do this "test" as you suggest and see what I come up with and then report back.  I really appreciate your help! 
01 Sep 2021 22:11 #133

• spudmanDT250
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

The turn signals are flashing!  MarkT...why didn't I listen to your first suggestion right from the start?!?!  I went out this morning and disconnected the new 2-terminal flasher relay and upon doing so, I had NO turn signal lights at all (solid or flashing).  I decided I better try reversing the leads to the relay as you suggested, even though the instructions for the new relay indicated that it didn't matter.  Well, apparently on my bike anyway...it does.  The flashers worked fine...even with the bike not running.  I contacted Pobit and let him know (he was kind enough to give me some pointers this morning as well in terms of what to look for) and he too said that apparently on my bike, the leads need to go to the proper terminals. He said his relay only needs about 5 volts to operate, so it will flash much more easily than the OEM relay at low RPM.  Anyway, thank you MarkT and everyone else here for all of your help sorting through these often frustrating electrical issues.  I really do appreciate all the insightful suggestions and comments.  I definitely would have been lost without this great forum!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, Pedalcrazy, Andy L
02 Sep 2021 11:57 #134

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic '75 DT250-B No lights at all are working

Excellent news! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I have to admit that I was surprised to read you were told that it didn't matter which way round the terminals were wired. Normally the terminals are marked 'B' or 'X' and 'L' - brown goes to B/X and brown/white to L. However, as Mark was providing excellent guidance (as always!), I let things run.  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: spudmanDT250
02 Sep 2021 12:12 #135

• spudmanDT250
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Yes Gr8uncleal...I wondered about it too, the more I learned about exactly how the relay and flasher circuit worked.  I guess I followed the seller's instructions more because he seems to sell things directly related to our bikes (Yamaha Enduros).  He was very helpful though, and actually seemed surprised that on my bike it actually did matter which way the wires were connected.  I'm wondering if perhaps on some of the other models that it didn't matter?  Oh....on this particular relay, I did in fact see an "L" and a "B" for the terminal markings.  In any case, I'm really glad I got them working correctly!
Last edit: 02 Sep 2021 12:26 by spudmanDT250.
02 Sep 2021 12:25 #136

Replied by MarkT on topic '75 DT250-B No lights at all are working

Great job!!

I disagree a little with Pobit just from experience...  his flashers are very good and flash when others won't so don't get me wrong...  but I've had some flashers just plain not work connected backwards and others of the same type/brand don't care.  It's not the bike, it's the flasher.  And it doesn't make the flasher bad because technically they do have a "power in" terminal and a "flasher out" terminal as Alan described.

Important thing is that it works!

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: spudmanDT250
02 Sep 2021 13:15 #137

Replied by MainelYamaha on topic '75 DT250-B No lights at all are working

Hey all, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am dealing with similar issues, except in addition to the lights my bike doesnt get a spark at all! I removed the headlight and found a bit of a mouse nest of wiring (see pictures via image link below). Notably, there are two sets of brown double wires that do not seem to lead anywhere further back on the bike, and neither set are getting voltage when I hook the battery up. I checked all the grounds and they are good. I also checked all bulbs by connecting the battery to each light and they all work fine that way. I also tried the headlight by connecting the battery + directly to the yellow wire up front leading into the left handlebar light switch and was able to operate the headlight fine, high and low, off and on. The red wire in the headlight has voltage up to the main switch. But nothijg else up front seems to be getting power, regardless of the key position. Rectifier tested fine. Battery is charged. Any help would be much appreciated!!! 
Last edit: 01 Sep 2023 22:05 by MainelYamaha. Reason: Spelling
01 Sep 2023 20:57 #138

01 Sep 2023 21:34 #139

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic '75 DT250-B No lights at all are working

from near Salisbury, UK.

Comprehensive list of checks and thanks for posting.

I would be looking at testing the main switch.

There should be a legend alongside the wiring diagram, showing which wires connect with which in each switch position. However, given you have no switched power to brown, I would test for continuity between red and brown in the switch, and you should be able to do this at the switch wire ends. No continuity and I reckon your switch might be the problem.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
02 Sep 2023 00:52 #140

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart