facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replacing clutch bearing on dt 360

• treeves
  • treeves's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replacing clutch bearing on dt 360 was created by treeves

Having some trouble getting this bearing out to replace.  How do you get the bearing out and new one in?  The case is split and starting to put back together.
Thanks  
27 Apr 2021 18:58 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by treeves on topic Replacing clutch bearing on dt 360

Number 24
27 Apr 2021 18:59 #2

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Have been trying to get bearing out for last couple of hours, not having any luck.  looking for some advise
28 Apr 2021 12:22 #3

Replied by msavitt on topic Replacing clutch bearing on dt 360

hi there
I recently replaced mine, I spent a lot of time thinking about it 
i considered blind pullers, making some time of puller
in the end I took a very high-quality 1/4" chisel that I put a nice edge on and proceeded to fracture (doesn't bend) the bearing race radially inward. In the end the bore was perfect and I had a tiny burr on leading edge of bore that i cleaned up with a small file.  I installed at the same time i put in the new main bearings by heating up the cases in the oven (on a cookie sheet) to 225 and the mains slid right in.  I made the area for the clutch bearing a bit hotter with propane torch to compensate for a smaller overall expansion based on smaller ID X in/degreeF
If i had a really nice blind pilot bearing puller I would have used it...the one I got and returned to Harbor F was a POS, hence my surgical caveman approach
good luck,  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pedalcrazy
28 Apr 2021 12:57 #4

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Masavitt Thanks for the info.  Did not get it out today but will try something very similar to what you did tomorrow.  If I had known it was going to be this hard I would not be replacing that bearing.  I may not replace the other needle bearings, even though I have bought them.
28 Apr 2021 14:54 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic Replacing clutch bearing on dt 360

Can you release the needles to then get a good go at it. Then 'somehow' use a small slide hammer. I have one that i think is genuine yamaha from when i worked there. Has a 6mm thread on the end. Come to think--it was for pulling the rocker shafts out of things like XT250's. So--nut on the end & hook it under the edge with rollers removed & slide hammer going 180 every few taps. It'll come out--he said hopefully.
28 Apr 2021 15:08 #6

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

we tried a slide hammer attached to a bent screw driver but did not work for us.
28 Apr 2021 15:26 #7

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic Replacing clutch bearing on dt 360

Plus 1 for what msavitt did.  Had the exact same experience. Thought this will be easy after replacing the big bearings.  Noooooo!  Used a blind pulled and didn't budge. Ended up wrecking the bearing, not bearing bore in case, and split it with a chisel. Really hard bearing case but it did split. I agree too with heat/freeze method for removing/installing the bearings in the case. Just didn't work for that little bearing so splitting did it.  Good luck!

1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
28 Apr 2021 16:13 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Replacing clutch bearing on dt 360

There are some main transmission shaft needle bearings on some models that often need replacing...  but I must be really lazy or super cheap...  I wouldn't even think about changing that clutch actuator bearing unless it was rusted solid or somehow badly damaged. 

You guys are super thorough! 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
28 Apr 2021 20:52 #9

• treeves
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Finally got it out using a Dremel tool and chisel.  Thanks everyone that gave me advise.  That is a bearing I will never replace again unless I have no choice.
I have bought all new bearings for transmission and crank is there another bearing I need to be aware of?
29 Apr 2021 13:56 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart