facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

• DaveinSC
  • DaveinSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day was created by DaveinSC

It was listed on marketplace for 750 but I haggled with the guy for a couple weeks and finally got to a price I could work with. Its fairly complete, nice original paint, missing the gauges, hand grips, chain guard and seat foam and cover. Front fender leaves a bit to be desired too but will do for now. 
Someone must've had plans for a bobber, the rear bar and seat hinges were cut off. Luckily they didn't get too far and the cut off pieces were in the box of parts that came with it so a little fab and welding work fixed it right up. This one was almost too easy, the tank was clean as a whistle and the carb wasn't bad either. I had it running within 2 hours of coming off the truck. The clutch was hopelessly stuck, tried tying it up for a couple days but no go so I had to take it apart to fix it. The inside of the engine was very clean too and I could tell the clutch cover had never been taken off before. Took it for its first ride today with no seat and it runs beautifully, headlights work both high and low beam, tail and brake lights work, electric start works and it's charging like it should. All I need to do is splice some wire onto the signals and they will work, I checked them with the meter coming out of the loom and put 12 volts to the fixtures and they light up. Horn isn't working and front brake wire is pulled out of the socket at the lever but it has power to it. The tires are sweet too, old Yokohama's with no dry rot. I also got rid of the aftermarket shocks, the silencer wouldn't fit with them and the originals were in the box. They're actually good just the springs were rusted. I'm going to order the seat foam and cover and a set of grips from KDI, the pan is in great shape and I'm looking for a set of gauges if anyone has them. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, bike4fun, JayB
11 Apr 2021 17:27 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by pabdt on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

nice clean looking bike..post up as you work on it...
74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.
11 Apr 2021 17:38 #2

• DaveinSC
  • DaveinSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by DaveinSC on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

Pretty much done with this one other than a set of mirrors and I’m going to try for a Vermont registration. The KDIREPROS seat foam and cover took about an hour, it came out nice and the gauges I got on eBay were in great condition. Got the autolube working, the pump needed to be cleaned out, especially where the check ball is.  all the lights work, had to take the horn apart to revive it. This bike runs perfectly, the electric start hardly makes a revolution and it’s running! Checked the voltage at the battery while running and it’s definitely charging so that was good to not have to chase that. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: pabdt, Buz
28 Apr 2021 18:56 #3

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

Wow that is awesome
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
28 Apr 2021 20:54 #4

Replied by pabdt on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

Great looking bike! How does it run?
74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2021 20:59 by pabdt.
28 Apr 2021 20:59 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

Wow!  Nice work and great save! 

This image is hidden for guests.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
28 Apr 2021 21:03 #6

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

Looks great, did you get all that done in 2 weeks?
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
29 Apr 2021 00:10 #7

Replied by Nextgenrider on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

Wow, nicely done.  You are fast!
29 Apr 2021 05:18 #8

Replied by msavitt on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

wow - what a beautiful bike, nice work!
29 Apr 2021 11:14 #9

Replied by Yamadog1974 on topic Picked up this 74 DT125 the other day

Hello, I`m having charging system problems with my 74 DT125A! Not sure how wiring is from battery to regulator and if there`s a pigtail on the positive terminal besides the heavy red wire that goes under tank straight to starter relay. 
    I got the bike running ,but it only will run maybe 15 minutes and It starts to lose power because the battery is drained. A couple of pictures of connections under seat at regulator for all the red wires ........ and maybe a hand drawn wiring diagram ? Any help would be appreciated!
23 Jun 2021 05:48 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart