facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

What the Heck is in My Header?

• warmblood58
  • warmblood58's Avatar Topic Author

What the Heck is in My Header? was created by warmblood58

Pulled header and silencer and heard something heavy rolling around in my header - I can tip it and it will fall towards the silencer end and I see a heavy bracket squareish with a round cutout - sound familar? What busted loose? Bike is a '74 Dt360A
20 Feb 2021 17:51 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jack on topic What the Heck is in My Header?

Does it look like this? 

This was rattling around inside my pipe.. I didn't realize it was loose until I had removed the pipe but it must have been like that even back when I was riding the bike but if it was I never noticed any effect on engine performance so not sure how important it is. I had to cut a hole in the back side of my pipe in order to gain access.  Once I did that I could see tell tale marks where it had once been and welded it back in place, then repaired the hole. It was not fun patching the hole with my old stick welder and glad I cut the hole on the back side where no one will see it but got it done. I've purchased a small wire feed welder since then.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., RT325
20 Feb 2021 18:34 #2

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• warmblood58

Replied by warmblood58 on topic What the Heck is in My Header?

It sure does Jack! So cut  on the back side close to silencer end? 3x5 rectangular cut or bigger? I assume that when header is open its an easy obvious weld point for my welding tech? Thanks again!
21 Feb 2021 09:31 #3

Replied by Jack on topic What the Heck is in My Header?

Yes, backside near where the silencer goes.
If I remember correctly there was a small bump on the outside which looked like a result of tack welding the baffle in place originally. For sure I saw something there that gave me a clue as to where I needed to cut the hole. But if you find no such mark on your's then you can compare your actual pipe with the pictures I posted and that should give you a good idea where to cut the hole and what size to make it. 

The larger you cut the hole the easier it will be to weld the piece back in place but of course bigger hole means extra welding when patching it back up.

When you get it out of there look inside the pipe for signs of where it was welded before. It was pretty obivous on mine. Plus the shape of the baffle itself corresponds with the shape of the pipe at that point so that should help you place it in the right spot as well.
21 Feb 2021 11:06 #4

• warmblood58

Replied by warmblood58 on topic What the Heck is in My Header?

Perfect, Thanks!
21 Feb 2021 11:59 #5

Replied by turbodan on topic What the Heck is in My Header?

No real harm in leaving it out.  I did not bother trying to weld the baffle back in, mine came out in pieces anyway.  It would probably help quiet the exhaust down a bit if it's worth the trouble to you.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
23 Feb 2021 08:36 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart