facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

‘75 Dt400 rear fender

• cydways
  • cydways's Avatar Topic Author

‘75 Dt400 rear fender was created by cydways

I am starting to put together a game plan for my latest Project purchase. The bike is a little rough around the edges but all and all I think it was good fit for me. My first question is regarding the rear fender. This bike has a plastic rear fender which I believe is supposed to be metal but it fits/mounts surprising well. I’m not sure if the ‘77 ‘78’s had plastic rear fenders or it could just be off of something random. If anyone can tell please chime in.
As for the metal rear fenders, does the DT series share rear fenders throughout or are they proprietary per model? With my brief searching on eBay it seems easier to find a DT250 fender over the DT400.

Any info would be appreciated
07 Dec 2020 20:39 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic ‘75 Dt400 rear fender

Great project!

Looks like maybe a Preston Petty rear fender.

Those could be early Works Performance rear shocks too.

You can look up part numbers online and see that the stock fenders are the same... note that the 75 250/400 models are shown under 1976 on sites like Partzilla.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
07 Dec 2020 21:08 #2

Replied by run103 on topic ‘75 Dt400 rear fender

1974 DT's to 1976 DT's all had the same rear fenders and they are getting hard to find in good shape. Remove the mag cover and clean it up before you spin the flywheel and damage the pulser. That's even worse than the fender to find. I see you have an aluminum back rim also Are ya building a rider or a show bike
Doug
08 Dec 2020 07:20 #3

• cydways
  • cydways's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by cydways on topic ‘75 Dt400 rear fender

Thanks for Petty lead, Mark. It looks like some good stuff for future projects but it seems at least current inventory they are all smooth fenders this rear fender has two molded flat spots for the rear mounting lugs. I am unsure on the rear shocks, I didn’t realize they were not the originals until after hauling the bike home.

Run103 Thank you for the fender confirmation, I am going to snag a 250 rear that I’ve tracked down. The previous owner said the bike would fire but it wouldn’t stay running and it looks like he dug into the wiring which I will have to go through but after pulling the carb and boiling it giving it a good cleaning the bike fired right up and seemed decent, So it looks like I got lucky with the Pulser. The lower jug gasket was leaking a bit and the clutch didn’t seem to engage but that was all the info I needed. The bike will be torn down completely and gone through.

It will most definitely be a runner. I ride/drive all my vintage stuff because that’s what it’s all about. This will not be a 100% original bike. It will get slight modern touches that I usually keep very subtle. On my list is a mx400 jug and piston as more hp is always welcome on anything I build.
08 Dec 2020 12:06 #4

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by run103 on topic ‘75 Dt400 rear fender

Cydways That bike will be great.. Try Octane lighting for LED Headlight bulbs that fit the original bucket. I clean that mag area and then paint the inside of the cover wit heat paint and then seal it up so water cant get in So far all of my restores are running great all using stock ignition parts. I just did a 250 mile cross country ride on my DT400 with 4 other guys on new bikes and the thing did amazing. One thing that saved me was new seat foam because that's virtually the suspension on that bike. Im running stock thermal flow shocks with 15 weight oil and the same in the forks. I would love to add about 2 inches to the suspension and find a supple rear shock that doesn't just blow thru the compression damping. Hey the suspension keeps me from trying stupid things at my age
Doug
08 Dec 2020 12:39 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart