facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

I need help finding bolts....

• kbomb074
  • kbomb074's Avatar Topic Author

I need help finding bolts.... was created by kbomb074

Today I began working on my winter project, my 74 DT175A and noticed the previous owner almost completely stripped the tops of every bolt for the covers over the Autoluber, Magneto/Fly Wheel and the Sprocket cover. I was able to get the bolts out of the Autoluber cover and the Magneto/Fly wheel cover but the sprocket cover bolts are the worst and appear to be slightly seized. Does anyone know where I can get replacement bolts so I do not run into this problem again in the future?

Thanks.
16 Oct 2020 23:49 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic I need help finding bolts....

Yamaha might still do them, but check first that they haven't changed the finish/colour over the years (they have a habit of doing this!).

The size of most Yamaha screws and bolts is usually shown within the part number. For example, the part number for the screws for the oil pump cover on your model was originally 98511-06025 and this means that it was a M6 screw, 25mm long (excluding the head). I noticed on the CMSNL website that the part number has changed (superseded) to 98517-06025 and, given that it is the last two characters of the first block of five that identify the finish, I suspect that this might have changed from chrome or BZP to dark olive/black. I haven't managed (yet!) to track down a directory of what finish matches what number.

If you aren't worried about originality, then you could get new screws/allen bolts from ebay/online or your local diy store. If you are looking at keeping some sort of originality, bear in mind that the heads of the original screws were likely to be Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS). Folks using the wrong screwdriver (eg Phillips) is, I understand, a contributing factor in the heads getting chewed!

Finally, you could always stick a wanted ad on this forum - some members might have some spares sitting around doing nothing.

There might well be a parts manual for your bike in this forum's Tech Library (see top toolbar), or you can use online sites such as CMSNL and Partzilla. The online sites will often show part number updates (supersessions).

I hope that my rambling helps!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: kbomb074
Last edit: 17 Oct 2020 00:22 by Gr8uncleal.
17 Oct 2020 00:18 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic I need help finding bolts....

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=372086586765&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Scootern29 on topic I need help finding bolts....

I've bought a few sets from Stainless Cycle. They are high quality bolts and he's a real vintage racer.
Question authority, think for yourself!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, mdscott, kbomb074
17 Oct 2020 08:48 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart