facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 yamaha dt100a rear twin shock rebuild for first time in my life

• garyramir
  • garyramir's Avatar Topic Author
i have never rebuilt rear vintage shocks before. i have a 1974 yamaha dt100a that needs rebuild or replace rear shocks.
i just did my front for the first time on my pit bike and it came out good.
do you know how i could rebuild back twin shocks? im trying to keep it original for vintage sakes. this little thing is much more fun than my street bob Harley. i have always sent my suspension off to get it done. so its budget time and gonna try to tackle this. any tips from anyone on my amatuer?
gary
15 Oct 2020 07:40 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry it took so long for a reply. If the rear shocks on your bike are the chrome OEM units, they are not rebuildable. After a look thru the brochures in the tech section, that is what a 1974 DT 100A had installed when new. If it has OE Yamaha Thermal Flow shocks from a different bike, they are rebuildable. Pics of your shocks would help with ID. Be careful of space limitations if you are shopping for aftermarket shocks. Most are larger diameter and may contact chain. I am not familiar with the DT 100, I do not know if TF shocks will clear either. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions. The service manual shows a procedure to check shock function with shock removed from bike. Manual is also in Tech section. If it fails the test it says "replace unit".
76 Dt 125 75 Dt 175 75 Dt 250 75 Dt 400 09 FZ6R
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 11:39 by MACE6772. Reason: More info
29 Oct 2020 11:33 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart