facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Another 74 DT360 has been saved

• DaveinSC
  • DaveinSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Another 74 DT360 has been saved was created by DaveinSC

I saw this bike on OfferUp a couple months ago. They were asking 350 for it so I contacted the seller and offered 250 and next thing I know I was hauling it home. It was seized up but it was the flywheel rusted to the Stator not the piston stuck. I actually got it to run after a couple hours of work but it ran horrible. Next day I pulled the jug and found out why, the bottom of the piston was gone, like missing half the skirt, and one of the rings was hanging out and bent in the exhaust port. Ended up stripping it down to nothing, cleaned painted and fixed everything, did new brakes chain and sprockets needed a complete exhaust, I still need to find a silencer if anyone has one to spare. The tank was pretty rusted inside so did the red kote liner, rebuilt the throttle cable and autolube pump, did new crank bearings and seals new 2nd over piston and rings from Enduronut and a Vape ignition system. Lots of other jobs too, fork seals, got all the lighting working, rebuilt the carb, new grips, fork boots, seat cover etc. All in I’m at 1600 and a ton of work for the bike but always wanted one since I was a kid and am glad I decided to fix it instead of my first idea of parting it out on eBay. Thanks for checking it out, Dave
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Bigdog302, yamahahaha, Snglsmkr, pabdt, darinm, Gr8uncleal, Von, Pedalcrazy
13 Oct 2020 13:52 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by apex on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

Nothing I love more to see really rough and forgotten Yamaha Enduros brought back to life. It's my favorite thing to do as well, something that has no business ever running again, runs again!! Nice work!!!
Allrighty Then
13 Oct 2020 14:01 #2

Replied by pabdt on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

glad you restored it. looks great. I love seeing these old bikes and cars come back alive. interested in what you did w/the piston / rings. Did you bore it or hone, put a stock piston rings in? If so, how did that come out?
74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.
13 Oct 2020 15:59 #3

Replied by Jack on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

Well done Dave. I'm amazed that you were able to get all that done in two months! I'm almost a month in and I'm barely started. But I'll get there, just gonna take me a lot longer. Learning as I go, so I have to take it slow and think everything through twice to make sure I understand what ever it is I'm working on at the time. And with winter just around the corner and no heat in the shop that's gonna slow things up even more. If I manage to get it running by this time next year I'll be more than happy.
13 Oct 2020 16:54 #4

Replied by darinm on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

Wow talk about bringing one back from the dead, great work!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
13 Oct 2020 17:01 #5

• DaveinSC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by DaveinSC on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

I went with a second oversize piston and rings to clean up the cylinder, had it bored and honed at a local machine shop for 90 dollars. all went well, it starts first kick most of the time, idles great and has plenty of power
13 Oct 2020 17:03 #6

• DaveinSC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by DaveinSC on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

Jack, I'm mostly retired so have a fair amount of time to kill plus with everything pretty well shut down this summer it was the perfect time to knock it out. This forum and the people contributing were a huge help in getting me through it too, every time I ran into a problem I'd come here and always find the answer I was looking for. The free shop manual download made it a lot easier as well. Seeing other people get their bikes fixed up and going again gave me hope for mine
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
13 Oct 2020 17:16 #7

Replied by Jack on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

I hear ya Dave. this site is awesome. I'd been thinking about getting my old bike going for some time but was really hesitant to take the plunge but finding this site is what gave me the courage to go ahead with it. So many knowledgeable folks here willing to share their expertise is what makes it possible for someone with my limited abilities and experience with these engines to have any chance at succeeding. Very grateful to all here.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
13 Oct 2020 17:55 #8

Replied by akara1 on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

Great work! gives me motivation to finish my own DT360!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
13 Oct 2020 21:45 #9

Replied by nhsteve on topic Another 74 DT360 has been saved

Very nice job! I see you replaced the dust boots with longer gaiters. I did that also, I think they are more "functional" looking.

I see there have been a few '74 360A renovations done lately. I redid mine a few years back. Started with far less than what you had there in the bed of your truck, and spent stupid money on eBay to get needed bits, so yours really was a nice capture.

Again, nice job! :likey
20 Oct 2020 07:55 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart