facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

• Tex68w
  • Tex68w's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Tex68w on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Thanks for all of the replies fellas, it's good to hear that this was as good of a find as I assumed it was. The hardware on the cases is mostly hardware store replacement Philips head grade 5 stuff, a few are the original hex head that I am assuming are supposed to be there. I'll take some pics later today to post up. I'll need all of the associated gaskets for the cases as well. I know I will definitely need the two nuts for the head pipe at the cylinder (and the associated gasket) and the two at the rear where the muffler ends.

This bike originated from NW Louisiana and the previous owner was in the beginning stages of a rebuild. Judging by the condition of the bike I am assuming that it was stored inside for the majority of it's life, lucked out there.

I am torn on whether or not I want to go all in and strip it down to the frame to re-powder coat everything and do a proper full on restoration. The frame is in pretty good shape save a few spots of surface rust on a couple of the weld beads (very minimal) and the paint on the tanks is very nice considering the age. Part of me thinks it's best to leave the frame and tanks alone and stick to simply repainting the fenders, head light bucket and it's forks/bracket. Any insight to the proper call here?

The wheels are in fairly good shape but I have heard of an outfit who will re-lace and polish them (Buchanan's), I might look into that as I have never replaced spokes on an entire wheel set before, but I am not opposed to learning how to do it myself either. I found a shop local to me to do the hone/machining on the head and piston so I think I'll start there next week. The carb rebuild, recovering the seat, and the fork seals will give me something to do while the head work is out and the fenders are off to paint.

I will post pics of the spare handlebars and cylinder he provided me as well, I am not opposed to selling those to members here that might need them for their own bikes. I have always admired these bikes and I am glad that I found this 250 in Virginia Gold as it's always been one of my favorites. I am open to any suggestions or advice any of you care to give on this restoration/build as I am virgin at this and I want to do it correctly and give this bike a proper restore.
01 Aug 2020 08:22 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mdscott on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Fantastic find, great to find complete bikes.
It must have been a good deal to travel 14 hrs to get.
I drove 1000 miles to pick up a 74 DT360 from MarkT, I love the hunt and drive picking up.

:Buds
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tex68w
01 Aug 2020 08:29 #12

Replied by yamahoper on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Great Bike!!!
Me in 1975

Same bike 2015 St. George Utah Endurofest

After it sat for 30 years I got her going and didn't think I would put her back in the dirt.
That thought lasted about 10 minutes ; )
Been attending the awesome rides with the guys here ever since !
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JimA, Tex68w, LongStride, Pete-RT1
01 Aug 2020 08:35 #13

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Tex68w
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

14 hours round trip, two of which were to pick up and drop off my father who wanted to tag along. I think the travel was well worth it and I enjoy the hunt and adventure almost more than actually buying it haha. It's all there, it just needs a little love and some time putting it all together, I am certainly excited about it. In regards to "the deal", lets just say that I didn't drive up there the very next morning for nothing. I am still astonished at the purchase price and I couldn't be happier.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott
01 Aug 2020 08:40 #14

Do you want to ride the bike off road or take it to shows? The closer you get it to showroom condition the less you will want to get her dirty. I would leave as much alone as possible like the frame powder coated. But its totally personal preference. Welcome!!!!!
01 Aug 2020 08:44 #15

• Tex68w
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I have two modern enduros to ride off-road so I'd prefer to get it restored properly and enjoy it around town or on the occasional gravel road. I have no intentions of riding it hard off-road as I'd like to keep it in good shape. I wouldn't mine taking it to a few shows here in my state but a show winner level bike is not what I am after. A properly restored mint rider is the goal.
01 Aug 2020 09:02 #16

I understand, sounds like a good plan.
Of course you may want to get a rider + a back up to take to our events.

WARNING.... MAY BE HABIT FORMING
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted, Tex68w, LongStride, Pete-RT1
01 Aug 2020 09:27 #17

This message has an attachment image.

• Tex68w
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Lol, that's a nice collection. I love the green models, I've never come across one semi-locally in my searches though. I can see myself adding adding a 360 or 400 next. I am a bit of a Honda guy when it comes to the Japanese stuff so I feel a bit dirty going down this path but I couldn't deny my inner desire to own one any longer. We do have a cherry PW50 in the garage that the misses enjoys riding around the block as well lol.

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: LongStride
01 Aug 2020 10:07 #18

• Tex68w
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Here is a pic of some of the extras the seller threw in with the bike. I'll have to do some research to see what some of this hardware is and I am sure I'll be posting some pics asking for y'all to help me identify items.

The bars don't appear to be the same as those on the bike itself so I am not sure what they came off of. The tag on the spare jug/cylinder head says 69.5mm but I was under the impression that stock measured 70mm so who knows there.

This is the hardware on the cases I mentioned, I'd like to replace all of the Philips stuff with the original socket allen head hardware seen on the bottom, I'll need to get part numbers for that or source some take-offs.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: LongStride
01 Aug 2020 10:14 #19

Replied by LongStride on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

My 2ยข , I like a little patina, wear on the frame, rock dings, etc, your bike already looks really nice, what you said :seat cover, etc, detailing and touch up is all I would do it for me. I have a few buddies who disassemble and replate every single part and repaint everything, yes their bikes look really good, they also look brand new, that is what they like, a few battle scars give a bike character , the beauty of the hobby the image you desire it's yours to create
2ET703 Central Texas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Steve F, Tex68w
01 Aug 2020 12:35 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart