facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

• Tex68w
  • Tex68w's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

So much to learn, 1974 DT250A was created by Tex68w

I spent 14 hours on the road today in order to go pick up this 1974 DT250A in Virginia Gold. It came with new tires, a new battery, a new seat cover, new grips, and a plethora of NOS, reproduction and lightly used parts like brake shoes, head light, carb rebuild kit, handle bars, spare cylinder, cables, harness', plugs, air filters, hardware, fork seals, etc. Included were an owners manual, parts list/manual, and service manual, a clean title and the original sales brochure and a few magazine clippings.

The owner was in the beginning stages of restoring it along with a Husky 400 when he needed money to restore and fix his 127 year old Victorian home, hence the sale. The bike looks pretty good, it appears to have very little off-road use looking at the skid plate and bottom of the frame. It has the buddy pegs, original tool kit under the seat and the right side mirror. The tank has one slight dent, the oil tank has a slight crease, and the rear fender has a few small dings but other than that she looks pretty good IMHO.

It's currently sitting at 3,971 original miles and it's on the stock piston. It needs a top end as there's some slap but the transmission and clutch look good. I plan to fix the rear fender and have it repainted along with the front fender and headlight brackets. I will wax the tank and oil tank in hopes of bringing out some more luster from the original paint. I'm not sure what can be done about the small dent in the gas tank or the crease in the oil tank, but I'd like to keep the original paint on those parts. Is PDR an option on these older, thicker metals?

I'll polish the cases and the wheels but I am considering having them re-laced with new spokes. I need new hardware for the cases as these bolts are certainly not correct and I am assuming I'll need gaskets as well. The pipe is missing the hardware at the cylinder and where it mounts as the rear of the bike. The intake boot looks great as does the pipe itself and the chain and sprocket are fairly new as well.

Any suggestions on things to look out for and/or what to tackle that might go overlooked would be much appreciated. I am going to start with recovering the seat, rebuilding the carb and rebuilding the forks. I also need to find a shop here in Texas (preferably the Houston area) to do the top end work as I don't have the time. Any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to getting this thing decently restored so that I can get out and enjoy it as well as sit back and admire it. I hope to learn a lot here in this forum and to enjoy the process I am about to embark on lol.

Below are some pics from the sales ad and a few of it on the trailer on the way home today. Let me know what you think.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, RT325, LongStride, Andy L
Last edit: 01 Aug 2020 08:48 by Tex68w.
31 Jul 2020 22:42 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Nice find - we can only dream of finding bikes like that here in the UK!

I assume that "brake pads" was a slip of the finger and you meant "brake shoes"?! Unless you know their age and provenance, buy new ones.

Clean out the carb and replace the rubber "O" ring, but leave the jets and other metalware alone.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tex68w
31 Jul 2020 23:39 #2

Replied by KJB on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Great, exciting story …..It has got all of the Elements - Finding the "right bike" , Purchase , Road Trip, Pics on the way home and now the Forum , Learning and Planning the Project - a lot of Satisfaction to be had at the the end of this Journey . Congratulations...!
KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50
'94 Yamaha TW200

The following user(s) Liked this Post: yamahahaha, Tex68w
01 Aug 2020 00:05 #3

• Tex68w
  • Tex68w's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Tex68w on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Yes, I meant shoes lol. After being on the road all day and still little sleep I am mentally exhausted, good catch on the slip though. The new ones can't be more than a few years old and are still sealed in the packaging. Any suggestions on where to source the button head hardware for the cases?
01 Aug 2020 01:23 #4

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Could you post close up photos of what is currently fitted - might be original.

Yamaha probably still sell those screws/bolts, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the part number might have superseded to something that might not suit the bike (I'm thinking BZR to a very dark olive/black).

You can check Partzilla (USA) or CMSNL (Europe) for part numbers - they're both fairly straightforward "follow your nose" type websites. CMSNL tends to have more photos of parts.

The dimensions of screws, bolts etc are incorporated within the part number - ie 91316-06035 is size M6 x 35mm long (sorry if you already knew this!).

There are probably companies in the US that sell replacement packs, so wait for the US members to chime in regarding this once they are up and out of bed!
01 Aug 2020 02:16 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Wow. What a great find! Yay2

Your story is stuff dreams are made of.

On the case screws, Motodad24 on eBay sells very nice hardware kits. Link to his eBay store:

www.ebay.com/usr/motodad24
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Tex68w
01 Aug 2020 05:41 #6

Replied by B.C. on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

It's... it's beautiful!
01 Aug 2020 06:17 #7

Replied by Steve F on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

WOW !!!!:woohoo:
Bikes like that are rare...NICE....JUST REALLY,,,,,NICE !!
Looking forward to watching what you do with her.

On another note: case screws: The 74 DT250A was the 1st yr Yamaha built the bike with recessed hex head screws.
Your tool kit may have a hex wrench in it. If not they are easy to get.
Much better to work with vs. JIS phillips hd screws. If you didn't have the correct driver you could mess them up easily.
1974 DT250A
1974 DT250A
1977 IT175D "Alex"
1978 IT175E
1972 DT2 "Adam"
1973 DT3
"And there ya have it"
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Tex68w
Last edit: 01 Aug 2020 06:40 by Steve F.
01 Aug 2020 06:37 #8

Replied by LongStride on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Nice find, this is a great group of knowledgable enthusiast, I live about 1/2 way between Austin and Houston, in used to ride with the trials group at Rio Bravo MX, might check with Mike at Bluebonnet MX to find you someone who can help you with the bike, there are some vintage guys who hang out at Rio too, maybe find a local contact out there

Edit note; I do vintage repairs here at my home, I am currently backed up, a year or so before I could help you
2ET703 Central Texas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tex68w, Bdubya
Last edit: 01 Aug 2020 06:49 by LongStride.
01 Aug 2020 06:46 #9

Replied by MarkT on topic So much to learn, 1974 DT250A

Yeah... Good point. I just looked... Motodad might not have the 74 kits listed. You could always contact him as he might have them? The original good black finish hex socket bolts that don't start rusting quickly are harder to find aftermarket than stainless or shiny ones...
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
01 Aug 2020 07:31 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart