facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Rex's Ignition / Stator - Only Fires if Flywheel Spinning Wrong Direction

• Brian Peech
  • Brian Peech's Avatar Topic Author
I'm puzzled. Purchased new stator kit from Rex's Speedshop for my DT360
www.rexs-speedshop.com/product/dual-powe...-b-c-dt360a-12-volt/

Big fat juicy spark all right, but only when the flywheel is spinning in the wrong direction. Any ideas? There's only one way to mount the stator, and all the wring seems to be correct (it is sparking, afterall). I'm hoping someone has run into this before.Or maybe Rex can chime in, as I sometimes see his name on here.

Thanks!
18 Jul 2020 14:51 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So it’s on a 74 Dt360A correct? I’m not personally familiar with those systems but there are some who are and I’m sure they’ll be along, so ya might have to sit tight for a bit. When you say it’ll spark with the fly wheel going backwards, are you spinning it by the flywheel nut or similar, or is it running backwards when you kickstart it? You might post some pictures of the wire up or better yet, a short video might be best.
I think 75-76 Dt 175s had a diode wired in to keep them from running backwards. They were a points system though. Good luck!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
18 Jul 2020 16:55 #2

Best to reach out to Rex's and see if they resolve the issue.

I've heard of several issues. Including running backwards. That owner said Rex's told him he needed a different flywheel from a different model I think.

Maybe they added a diode to prevent backwards running and yours got installed wrong or something.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
18 Jul 2020 17:40 #3

• Brian Peech
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Haven't been able to start it, as when you kick it over, the fly wheel spins counter-clockwise, so no spark. When I rotate the flywheel clockwise by hand, it sparks.

The flywheel is stamped with the numbers that are required as per Rex's site, so I sure hope that I don't need a different model.

I've sent an email to Rex, so we'll see what he says and will report back...

Happy to hear any thoughts on here, though, from anyone who might have had similar issues with a pick-up less stator.

Cheers,
18 Jul 2020 22:52 #4

My random guess is its been accidentally reverse wired from the stator coil. Only saying that because we had a local guy rewinding coils for us at work for many years & wasn't a DT360A but a TT250 that had a Brown & a Red from each end of the stator source coil & was a very similar problem . Phoned him up & he said swap the red & brown & that fixed it--but heaven help the next guy to work on it if he was following colors lol. Better contact Rex's or wait a little bit & should be along. We'll all be interested in the answer.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Bigdog302
19 Jul 2020 02:28 #5

You don't think this is wrong, correct?
You agree that the flywheel is supposed to spin counter-clockwise, right?
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
19 Jul 2020 14:59 #6

• Brian Peech
Hi Deet, the flywheel should indeed spin counter clockwise. It just doesn't spark when it does.
20 Jul 2020 08:40 #7

• Brian Peech
This is the response from Marcus Rex. Would love to say it's helpful.

"Hello

Yes that odd. Never seen or heard that before as the unit locks out. This lockout occurs as the conditions cannot be met to fire the SCR that controls the capacitor IE anode more positive than the anode when the fire signal is injected."

Marcus Rex BEng (Hons)
Company Director
20 Jul 2020 08:41 #8

Sadly, not surprising.

What is the warranty?
Send it back for a refund.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco
20 Jul 2020 10:42 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart