facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

74 DT250 Where to Start?

• Bdubya
  • Bdubya's Avatar Topic Author

74 DT250 Where to Start? was created by Bdubya

Just purchased a '74 DT250 this weekend. I'm going through it trying to figure out what all it needs. I'm a car guy and new to motorcycle mechanics and haven't ridden in years. For the most part, I will just ride this around on our property, but I'd like to eventually take on short hops on the pavement to get to local dirt roads nearby. Overall, the bike is in pretty good shape, but after just a couple of short rides, here's what I've found:
1. Fuel petcock leaks like crazy at the tank.
2. Lights don't work. Seller warned and told me about the rectifier/regulator solution.
3. Rear turn signals are missing - need to find suitable replacements.
4. Seat cover is trashed but seller included a new one.
5. Rear brake locks up at slightest touch.
6. Suspension seems non-existent. Is that just the way these old ones are? How do I check for good condition shocks? Fork seals seem fine.
7. No passenger pegs, but seems like one broke off in the tube. Need to extract that somehow and find some passenger pegs.
8. Carb seems original and seems to leak. Been having trouble finding gasket kits. Should I just cut my own?
9. No luggage rack, but I'd like to get one to haul food, water, tools etc in case I do go on a long trail ride.

That covers it for now. I know that's a lot of topics in one post so I'll probably break them up in to separate posts. Just wanted to get my first impression out there and get some feedback. Look forward to learning.
01 Jul 2020 16:57 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by yamahoper on topic 74 DT250 Where to Start?

Welcome, There is stuff still available for the old Yamaha's. I use partzilla or rockymountain atv to look up parts , see if they are available then either check e-bay with the part numbers or get the parts from one of the yamaha parts distributors. To qualify for free shipping rockymountain is around $75 partzilla has better prices but is around $150 for free shipping .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Wax
01 Jul 2020 18:11 #2

1969-81 Yamaha fuel gas petrol petcock gasket pet cock dt250 dt360 xt500 ct1 at1
( 392632919424 )
This is what you will get from yamaha for twice the price. I use the yamaha fiber washers on the mounting bolts, The petcock comes withe oval o ring
01 Jul 2020 18:23 #3

that is an ebay number I could not get a direct link for some reason
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
01 Jul 2020 18:24 #4

• Bdubya

Replied by Bdubya on topic 74 DT250 Where to Start?

Awesome! Thank you. That looks just like the one I have on there now. I'll save the old in case I can rebuild it someday, but this one can get me on the trail quicker.
01 Jul 2020 18:27 #5

www.nichecycle.com/ncs/ These guys are a good source for carburetor parts, they also have turn signals , bulbs for your gauges, taillights and turn signals (6volt)
01 Jul 2020 18:36 #6

If you replace your bulbs and have a good charged battery you can get away without installing a regulator. Although if you neglect your battery or it comes disconnected while the bike is revving and your lights are on you could start popping bulbs, The headlights are around $40 so you could pay for a reg pretty quick at that rate.
01 Jul 2020 18:43 #7

This is me back in 75, Still have the bike
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Steve F, JimA, Pete-RT1
01 Jul 2020 18:51 #8

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Bdubya

Replied by Bdubya on topic 74 DT250 Where to Start?

Very cool! I still have my 69 Charger from when I was 16. No wonder you know so much about these bikes!
02 Jul 2020 04:30 #9

Replied by nhsteve on topic 74 DT250 Where to Start?

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=191053148668&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart