facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Gear change issue

• MrBernzo
  • MrBernzo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Gear change issue was created by MrBernzo

My 1974 dt250 has has a gear change issue where it changes up gears ok but doesn't change down well.
It takes a few presses on the lever before it it will make each change.
I suspected a shifter fork issue and decided to strip the engine down to check the gear box and change all seals and any bearings while there.

While in the process of stripping the engine down, I was about to split the crank case when I came across this adjustment while reading the service manual. This adjustment is not shown in the Haynes Manual I have been using.

Could this adjustment being out cause issues changing down gears? If so, how do I check and hopefully avoid splitting the crank case?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
23 May 2020 19:40 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MrBernzo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by MrBernzo on topic Re:Gear change issue

I think I answered my own question on this one. I reinstalled the gear lever and adjusted the screw a tiny bit clockwise. A bit of trial and error and now I can select gears up or down with each movement of the lever.

24 May 2020 19:50 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic Re:Gear change issue

I was hoping someone that knows that model better than I do would reply... you had the right manual pages and it's just a matter of getting the linkage centered...

Glad you figured it out!!! :likey
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
24 May 2020 20:07 #3

• MrBernzo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by MrBernzo on topic Re:Gear change issue

Thanks Mark, some times I just need some time to think out loud about it. Other people's knowledge is usually a great help too.

25 May 2020 02:09 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart