facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

New Project DT-400B

• jasonsch
  • jasonsch's Avatar Topic Author

New Project DT-400B was created by jasonsch

A while back, Enduronut was kind enough to sell me the actual YZ-465G I had when I was 14. Earlier this week, I obtained the actual DT-400B that my older brother had when he was 15. It was in a small town about 25 miles away. The guy that had it works at the same company that I do. His brother bought it from my brother in 1978 or 1979.
It sat outside under an awning for years and is in rough shape. The guy just gave it to me. Well, I knew he likes blackberry brandy so I brought him a bottle. (-:
It is locked up. I was curious so I pulled the head and cylinder off it tonight and it doesn’t look good... )-: It appears that the piston exploded - pieces of aluminum everywhere!! The rod is bent and I can’t even find the wrist pin!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC
26 Apr 2020 21:50 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mothersbaugh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic New Project DT-400B

Man, what a mess. My guess is the wrist pin would be all those little pieces rattling around down in the lower end. Imagine what it must have been like if someone was riding it when that happened. I recall driving a school district van along the interstate when it threw a rod, and that was not pretty even though I had four wheels under me and a cage all around me.
Two ends of the spectrum: Enduronut's perfection and now this...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC, jasonsch
26 Apr 2020 22:17 #2

Replied by 2fishkev on topic New Project DT-400B

I love these stories and it doesn’t usually work out for most, yet you are two for two! Hopefully you can save the case half with the numbers and the frame. All else is just parts on your Brother's bike. Good job!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: jasonsch
29 Apr 2020 14:49 #3

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic New Project DT-400B

OMG it's amazing what can happen in there. Keep the cases if matching VIN to the bike and build it up from there. Everything is available from one source or another. I built my 76 DT400C up by splitting the cases and replacing all bearings and seals. Crankworks out in Arizona can rebuild and balance cranks. Good luck with your project...cool story too!
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: jasonsch
29 Apr 2020 16:31 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic New Project DT-400B

Wow--just wow. Seen a few blowups but that's right up there with the best [worst]. & a 465G at 14--arm stretchers those.
Ha, had me dreaming about mine back in 1980 & then realised it's in my avatar.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, jasonsch
Last edit: 30 Apr 2020 01:19 by RT325.
30 Apr 2020 01:12 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart