facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Which wire is which?

• downsouthoutwest
  • downsouthoutwest's Avatar Topic Author

Which wire is which? was created by downsouthoutwest

Hello,
This is going to seem like a total noob / simple question to some but I can't figure this out. Wiring is really not my thing.

Can someone identify the wires in the photo?

So far I think I've figured this:

Black (Connected to both bulbs: Main Power
Yellow: High Beam Control
Blue/Red Stripe: Low Beam Control
Green: Ground
Yellow: Tail Lamp?

Bloody confused.

I'm trying to wire this light so it is constantly on when the bike is running. I do not require high beam, so I do not have a beam control switch on the bars. The last owner removed all electrics, so all electrics currently on the bike are on the attached diagram.

I've gone to the effort of drawing a current wiring diagram, so you can understand what is there. I don't think my proposed wiring is correct, can you wire a headlight directly to magneto and then just earth it?

Please talk to me as if I am a labrador.

Many thanks
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 04:03 by downsouthoutwest.
13 Apr 2020 04:01 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Which wire is which?

You'll be in the UK or Europe then, with those wires!!

Which model?

Black = earth/negative
Green = low beam
Yellow = high beam
Blue/red = parking light (small 3 or 4w bulb below the main headlight bulb - US bikes didn't have this fitted)

For the parking light, if the headlight isn't rubber mounted, then earth will be taken from the headlight tinware itself and there will be only the blue/red wire to it. If the headlight is rubber mounted, then there will be a black coming from it as well.

Is your high beam indicator in the top of the headlight shell or in the tacho?

"Power" will be through the non black wires.

Anyway, hopefully enough info here for you to get cracking.

edit - just read the last part of your post :Ugh Not sure I know enough about electrics to answer your question (yet!).
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 05:04 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: more text
13 Apr 2020 05:01 #2

• downsouthoutwest

Replied by downsouthoutwest on topic Which wire is which?

UK!

Thanks- hilarious how incorrect I was. The only thing I had right was Yellow for high beam...

re. High Beam indicator, its on the tacho.

It's a '76 DT175.

So then is it as simple as wiring the Green to the magneto, and wiring black to the headlight case with an O-Ring around one of the bolts?

Thanks again!!
13 Apr 2020 10:39 #3

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Which wire is which?

Without switches, I'm not sure where those wires are coming from?

Yellow from mag directly to headlight is what you'll want to do... 76 has a higher output so an AC regulator would be wise. Hopefully original is still there.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
13 Apr 2020 10:57 #4

Photo taken from the back of the headlight shell and the wires are coming from the bulbs - is my guess!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Schu
13 Apr 2020 11:31 #5

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Which wire is which?

Got it... was looking at pic from my phone and couldn't tell.... Thanks!

P.S. Grounding to headlight bucket is generally a bad idea... rubber mounted on many models.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
13 Apr 2020 13:27 #6

The UK model RD125 (1975) and AS3 that I recently acquired don't have rubber mounted headlights and I must admit that I did do a double take when I saw that the parking light only had the one wire coming from it, the blue/red. Our later RD200DX (coffin tank, US didn't get) has a rubber mounted headlight and the parking light has the separate earth wire as well as the blue/red.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 00:55 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: more text
14 Apr 2020 00:54 #7

Replied by Andy L on topic Which wire is which?

Hi downsouthoutwest. Not wishing to complicate things further for you, but in order to give you a proper answer you need to provide more info:
1) Are you running a battery ?
2) Do you have a rectifier/regulator ?
3) Have you identifed a resistor component on your bike? Often this is located on the lower steering yoke, but could be elsewhere.
4) Look round your bike as sometimes aftermarket voltage regulators HD ave been backfitted.
My initial thoughts to 'hot wiring' your headlight to the stator would be a big no-no because for a start the output the stator delivers is so variable from tickover to redline revs. At the high end of the revs I feel certain you'd blow bulbs and therefore the need for voltage regulator.
Best regards Andy L.
4)
21 Apr 2020 01:02 #8

• downsouthoutwest

Replied by downsouthoutwest on topic Which wire is which?

Hi Andy, here's some further info. I'm in the final stage of bolt-for-bolt so definitely no hidden regulators!

1) No
2) I think I have one in storage.
3) No
4) No

Yep, that's a concern. I think I'm going to do it, and if I blow my bulb fast, then I'll wire in a Reg. I'll let you know.. ha ha
22 Apr 2020 12:43 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart