facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

125 cc Not Starting, Please Help!

• Bsconnor3
  • Bsconnor3's Avatar Topic Author

125 cc Not Starting, Please Help! was created by Bsconnor3

Hi there, I have a 1974 Yamaha 125cc enduro motorcycle thats having some issues starting. I've taken it in a few times to get running but with all the time I have now I was hoping to get it going again myself. Im not very mechanically inclined but have done a few things. Before I had put it up for a few weeks, it was having issues dying down when I rode it, it would then start on fuel reserve, but just rev up and then die. Now it won't even start with reserve on. I know the carb is getting fuel so maybe its an air intake issue? One of the screws that attaches the carb to the engine is quite stripped and I can only get it about 1/3-1/2 in tightly. The other screw goes all the way in though and secures the carb quite well. The rubber clear tubes also fell off the carb and I lost them, but they were the ones that just led to nothing, just hanging of, do I need these perhaps? Other than that, the spark plug is fine and I have cleaned the carb a couple times. The air intake tube is clear and the filter is fine. What am I missing? When I first purchased it, it wasn't running so I took it in and its "points" needed to be adjusted. Could this be the issue again? Basically what would be some troubleshooting steps to find the issue at hand?
11 Apr 2020 01:07 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 125 cc Not Starting, Please Help!

Hi & welcome [if you're new]. Bit difficult guessing the issue but still sounds fuel related from what you describe. A video would be good if possible--well mainly for the audio part. I see reading it again that you cleaned the carb but wonder if there's still something missed. www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...74/dt125a/carburetor Looking at the pic in the link [if its right] the main jet is in the side mounted holder in the bowl, so just double check its clear. In fact take it out & check there 'is' a constant fuel flow into the bowl [& out the mainjet holder hole]. There is a little Oring in there that seals the bowl in the center onto the holder thingy--But, the problem sounds opposite to if that wasn't sealing as would go rich, very rich. Other possibility is the left side crank seal has popped out but think by your model they had a retainer plate on that side & the right side. [I'm assuming yours is an electric start model as ours in NZ were mostly kickstart only but did have a few electric models. I'll leave it there as getting interrupted here. Oh & check the fuel cap is breathing. Easiest way is to run the fuel hose into a can & let it run for a while & see if it keep flowing constant. Could remove the float valve seat & make sure nothing is behind it but a blow through with the air should be good enough. You mentioned the bolts holding the reed inlet/manifold on but if the bolts are tight they should be sealing even if some are short on thread. Good luck.-from NZ downunder.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 02:29 by RT325.
11 Apr 2020 02:21 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic 125 cc Not Starting, Please Help!

Having one of the two screws stripped that hold the carb to the manifold is very likely a problem. Likely the source of a fairly decent air leak.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
11 Apr 2020 07:40 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart