facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Spoke Invoked Nightmares

• downsouthoutwest
  • downsouthoutwest's Avatar Topic Author

Spoke Invoked Nightmares was created by downsouthoutwest

Hello,

I did one of the dumbest things I've ever managed last week. I had decided to replace my front and rear spokes, they had been sprayed gold and were rusty. I started undoing them individually, then at some point got bored, my brain switched off and I decided to angle grind every single one off. It was only when I'd removed them all, I realised I now had no idea what size or angle my replacements would be. What an idiot. Never embark on something at 1am after a long day!

I can lace and true them myself, but I need to order spokes. Does anyone know the lengths and angles required for a '76 DT175? Front is Takasago 1.60x21 6H 205, Rear is Takasago 1.85x18 6H 209.

I did speak to a wheel builder, but I don't get the rims / hubs back from powdercoat from another week and I'm pretty keen to order spokes now before Armageddon sets in.

Thankyou thank you thank you
26 Mar 2020 06:58 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by 2fishkev on topic Spoke Invoked Nightmares

I guess it all depends...... are you ordering from Buchanan’s? Are you wanting OEM? If Buchanan’s, I have no experience. Others have and will be along. If OEM, I get on Partzilla and look it up and then cross reference what other bikes use the same and then search eBay. They might still have them too for a reasonable price. Be warned though, spokes are one thing they try to gouge you on. 40-60$, ok. 100$, forget it! Even the Asian suppliers are pulling that sh%t. Good luck.
Did ya happen to measure offset before the gorilla struck? If not, after truing, bolt up to bike and make a centering stick and adjust for centering, then retrue. A friend told me that. :Ugh
The following user(s) Liked this Post: LongStride
26 Mar 2020 07:22 #2

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• downsouthoutwest
  • downsouthoutwest's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by downsouthoutwest on topic Spoke Invoked Nightmares

I'm based in the UK, so neither PartZilla or Buchanans are an option, unfortunately. I emailed Partzilla anyway and they have no stock. Ebay might be best bet. There's even a set of wheels for sale I'm considering buying them and restoring the spokes myself...

Nice note about centering, exactly what the wheel builder told me. Oh how much easier this would have been if I had gone around spoke for spoke...

O
26 Mar 2020 07:37 #3

I hear ya, brother. What about cmsl? Also, think they were common with TY s, so maybe someone in your well supported trials community.

Ok, partzilla says different rim, 1.40”, different hub. But, they show as using the same brake shoes. So maybe.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 08:02 by 2fishkev. Reason: More info.
26 Mar 2020 07:51 #4

Replied by mdscott on topic Spoke Invoked Nightmares

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=282593266392&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Sweet jumps.....
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott
26 Mar 2020 08:03 #6

Replied by mdscott on topic Spoke Invoked Nightmares

3 feet of air or less and you'll be fine, :ROFLOL
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
26 Mar 2020 08:19 #7

Replied by pabdt on topic Spoke Invoked Nightmares

I used Buchanan spokes. As I remember, they seemed to have a working knowledge of the spoke requirements for my wheels though I did initially give them dimensions on my original spokes.

Though you can 't order maybe call for info?
74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
27 Mar 2020 23:20 #8

Replied by Eazy-X on topic Spoke Invoked Nightmares

Bit more expensive but I recommend:

Devon Rim Company

My spokes were rusty to the point of collapse and went with stainless steel over zinc.

Fronts for stock rims are 100% definitely 10 gauge with .225" nipples. There was some debate over the rears though. The thread ends definitely need to be 10 gauge / .225" but the hub end should probably be 9 gauge (tapered) but that would have made it into a custom order so I stuck with 10 gauge throughout... not aiming to do any "sweet jumps" so shouldn't be a problem :)

You only need a few spokes as samples to send them to verify if you're not sure. Thankfully I got enough intact ones off before breaking out the bolt cutters!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
Last edit: 28 Mar 2020 06:06 by Eazy-X. Reason: grammar
28 Mar 2020 06:05 #9

Replied by DaveR on topic Spoke Invoked Nightmares

Hope this helps, for scale the ruler is 1 inch wide, ( add 1" to the 19" spoke length )
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC, Camp3
28 Mar 2020 08:20 #10

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart