facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

75 DT250B exceleration issue

• rickf2
  • rickf2's Avatar Topic Author

75 DT250B exceleration issue was created by rickf2

Hello. I've had this bike since it was new and its run great...until recently. It starts, idles well and gets going up to around 35 mph and then starts bogging down on exceleration at about 4000 rpm's. I've changed the jets, new plug, fresh gas and played with the needle height adjustment. On occasion it will run perfectly for several miles, other times I can't go 1/4 mile before it starts acting up. Any hints or suggestions on what's going on? Thanks.
08 Feb 2020 13:17 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eazy-X on topic 75 DT250B exceleration issue

Assuming the carb's okay and doing its job the next thing might be fuel supply. Have you an inline filter that's clogged? Maybe the petcock has a screen filter full of crud?
08 Feb 2020 14:27 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic 75 DT250B exceleration issue

Hi & welcome if you're new. On the face of it without actually hearing it run i'd say the tail pipe muffler has got either a build up of carbon in the spark arresting thing down in the tail section that looks like a jet engine, or a stray few lumps of carbon have bounced around & got lodged in there with same result. It's not that easy to see in there properly as think the vane bits are angled. To prove a point--if you're far enough away from neighbors--is run it minus the tail pipe & give it a [damn good thrashing]. Also with that complete end muffler out just look down in where it plugs in as carbon can build up where 'that' pipe stops inside. That's all guesswork of course & might be something blocking the air filter box intake [low flying duck] or air filter crumbled with old age [like me]. We love video's with good audio. Just thinking again, by memory the "75 DT250 still ran points ignition so therefore need around 15 thou points gap. Don't worry about timing at this stage as it'll be close at a nipping 15thou & you've had the bike from new so not bee played with by "experts". If the points fiber heal has worn down over the years & points have closed to almost invisible gap then the timing gets very retarded & so does the performance. All a very big guess though, but if you find it's blocked or semi blocked in the pipe the revert to original jetting when you've burnt out [cleaned somehow] the tail pipe. Cheers from 'down under' in NZ.

08 Feb 2020 14:34 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic 75 DT250B exceleration issue

Random video i found of one persons idea on how to burn it out--worked for him. With similar mufflers to your tail piece muffler i've just put mine in the house log fire & left it over night.

08 Feb 2020 14:49 #4

• rickf2
  • rickf2's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by rickf2 on topic 75 DT250B exceleration issue

First, let me apologize for mis-spelling "acceleration". Yes I have the magneto ignition and its a bear to get to the points but was able to give them a few strokes with a point file. (thanks rt325). I then took the exhaust baffle out and cleaned it up abit. Oily, but not carboned up.
Started it up and ran like new. Assume it had to be the points. Hope it lasts. Maybe time to a pro tune up. Thanx for your replies.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Gr8uncleal
08 Feb 2020 16:04 #5

Replied by darinm on topic 75 DT250B exceleration issue

Glad she is running well again!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
Last edit: 08 Feb 2020 18:21 by darinm.
08 Feb 2020 18:17 #6

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 75 DT250B exceleration issue

Can't be that many genuine one owner bikes around!
09 Feb 2020 00:47 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart