facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Tachometer gear DT360

• ldw72120
  • ldw72120's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Tachometer gear DT360 was created by ldw72120

I know everything can't be correct but to the best of my knowledge everything is. Until it isn't. When I attempt to install the cover there is about a quarter inch between the cover and the crankcase. I also think I have the correct crankshaft cover. As you can see from the pictures the distance collar on the tachometer gear isn't level with the crankcase but on the engine cover, the hole where the drive gear axle is level with the face of the cover. Anyone run into this before?
02 Jan 2020 17:42 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DEET on topic Tachometer gear DT360

Are you saying that the white plastic gear is not allowing the cover to fully seat against the crankcase?
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
02 Jan 2020 19:53 #2

Here is the 1974 DT360 tach diagram.... do you see any differences?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

02 Jan 2020 19:57 #3

This message has an attachment image.

• ldw72120
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by ldw72120 on topic Tachometer gear DT360

Yes, the white plastic piece is keeping the cover from meeting the crankcase. I also looked at this diagram and I don't see any difference from my installation. I removed the plastic piece and the cover fits flush with the crankcase. I took this engine apart 2 years ago and when I started to reassemble I couldn't find the plastic spacer. I assumed I lost it so I ordered another spacer.
02 Jan 2020 20:06 #4

Did you pull the gear off and look behind it?

02 Jan 2020 20:11 #5

I can't be sure, but it LOOKS like the kick idler gear is not flush with the kick gear. It looks like it is setting out too far.
I don't know if that is related, but it is noticeable.

Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 20:24 by DEET.
02 Jan 2020 20:17 #6

• ldw72120
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I haven't pulled the tachometer gear and looked behind it yet. I also noticed the kick idler gear wasn't aligned and posted about this some time ago questioning why this might be so . I had taken pictures of this engine before it was disassembled and noticed those original pictures also showed the offset. The cover appears to be correct.
02 Jan 2020 20:42 #7

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Tachometer gear DT360

When you said you lost the spacer and said you had to get a new one, first thing I thought of is maybe the spacer was never lost?? Maybe it never had one in the first place? Yamaha literature is famous for mistakes, and this could be one of them?

Here's a link to mdscott's excellent restoration thread... no spacer.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/rest...dt360?start=50#55506

Here's a picture from the Yamaha Service manual... no spacer. I looked through the DT360 manual and there are several pictures that show the tach gear... none of the actual pictures show the spacer and you can see that the gear looks about the same height as yours... just no spacer.

The DT360 was a "one year" model... looking at pics of the 75 DT400 service manual, there appears to be a spacer... but there is definitely more shaft sticking through. Here's a picture from the DT400 manual... looks like the spacer is there but notice shaft length.

So my opinion is the DT360 diagrams are wrong and that model does not take the spacer.
(Just remember, my opinion is worth exactly as much as you paid for it.)

:Buds

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted, Gr8uncleal, nhsteve
03 Jan 2020 05:02 #8

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Tachometer gear DT360

If it's ok with you guys, I'll play Robin to MarkT's Batman here!

Please find attached a scan from the relevant pages of my hard copy DT250A and DT360A parts manual (it's for European models, but that shouldn't be relevant here). Look closely, and you'll see that it's only the 250 that has the collar fitted.

Sorry, but you'll probably have to save the picture and then rotate it through 90 degrees.

Crackin' detective work on your part Mark!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, shyted
Last edit: 03 Jan 2020 06:37 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: text
03 Jan 2020 06:36 #9

• ldw72120
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Thanks for all the help and yes you're right, the DT360 doesn't use the spacer. I disassembled to verify that I installed everything correctly, and I had. The picture shows that with a straight edge held against the engine case the tachometer gear is level with the edge of the engine case. Again, thanks for the help.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, nhsteve
03 Jan 2020 09:50 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart