facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dt125 won’t run

• Shayne00
  • Shayne00's Avatar Topic Author

Dt125 won’t run was created by Shayne00

I have a 1974 dt125 and it dosent want to start. It was running perfect for a while and I parked it for the night, the next morning it started but had barely any power, I kept riding and eventually it just died and would not start again so I pushed it home. I cleaned the carb and inspected the reeds, they seemed fine so I put them back on, checked for spark and it was nice and blue, cleaned the points but nothing worked, yesterday I replaced the coil and it idled for a while, and today i got the gas tank back on and it won’t idle anymore, I can get it to run but only for a few seconds while giving it throttle until it backfires and dies, the spark plug is wet every time I take it out. I don’t know what to do anymore it ran perfect one day and the next morning ran horrible then died
Last edit: 06 Oct 2019 16:29 by Shayne00.
06 Oct 2019 12:21 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Papawhellie on topic Dt125 won’t run

Maybe the needle and seat is leaking by flooding it.
07 Oct 2019 12:32 #2

Replied by Blackhat250 on topic Dt125 won’t run

Has your exhaust been cleaned out ,? since you got it,
If you aint mixin gas " you aint haulin Ass
07 Oct 2019 13:30 #3

Replied by shyted on topic Dt125 won’t run

Start with the basics.
Is the plug good?
is the gap set on the plug?. Daft as that sounds i have been the victim of that one in the past on brand new RD 250.
Is the fuel fresh?
When you changed the coil,did you fit a new cap and wire?
Check the earth points are okay.
Stick with it and you will find it .
Regards Ted
07 Oct 2019 13:42 #4

• Shayne00

Replied by Shayne00 on topic Dt125 won’t run

Sorry for the replying so late, but I changed spark plugs and gapped it correctly, I tried the coil woth different wires and caps, it has fresh fuel and oil. The exhaust is from an at1 or something like that, it is not a original pipe but is clear from what I can tell and I changed the carb to the original one but it didn’t help. I took off the engine and I’m going to replace all the seals, if that doesn’t work the only other thing i can think of is maybe the timings off a little. I don’t know what would make a motorcycle stop running after parking it for 1 night
17 Oct 2019 08:20 #5

• Shayne00

Also when it died I could get it running but the rpms feel like they wouldn’t go past a certain point and then it would just sputter pop and backfire then die
17 Oct 2019 08:24 #6

Replied by Super90 on topic Dt125 won’t run

Hi, hate it when that happens. Have you inspected the air filter? Mine had sat for so long that the foam filter material was turning to powder. It would start and run at low rpm, but stall when i gave it some gas.....pulled the air box cover and pulled it out, cleaned the carb again and the bike would run and rev up without stalling. Replaced the filter, did a little air screw adjustment and it was fine. Good luck.
17 Oct 2019 11:53 #7

• Shayne00

I never had an air filter in the bike but it ran perfect without one so I never cared to get one, the reeds were bent very slightly maybe that’s the problem, normally I could diagnose and fix the problem easily but this one has me stuck
17 Oct 2019 12:56 #8

Replied by RT325 on topic Dt125 won’t run

Ok, it's pushed out a crank seal either left or right. Guessing of course but symptoms will be all gaspy & little or no proper throttle response as it's partly escaped, then zero response when it's fully escaped. If it's the right side seal then it will smoke the village out. If the left seal it'll just go all hollow in power--like it needs lots of choke to keep going. That's my guess for the morning.
17 Oct 2019 14:07 #9

Replied by MarkT on topic Dt125 won’t run

Not starting after overnight sounds like what happened to me a zillion times as a kid... petcock not off or leaking and badly flooded engine. It can be very difficult to start after that and hydraulic pressure could have popped out a seal...

How it ran not revving sounds consistent with being loaded up too... especially if it sounded "dull" or "flat".
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Super90
17 Oct 2019 16:46 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart