facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT to MX (ish...)

• meadeam
  • meadeam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

DT to MX (ish...) was created by meadeam

I've recently learned that I am pretty much out of luck registering my DT360. I bought it without a title knowing full well that it would be an issue, and that was the reason I only paid $175 for it. I'd hoped I could get a re-built title, but apparently 1974 isn't old enough. The previous owner has made it clear he will not go through the process of applying for a duplicate title (he has to do that since it was in his name, I cannot initiate or complete that process without him) which I knew prior to the sale. So it is all on me.

Anyway, this will be a dirt only bike now which actually suits me just fine. I did go to the expense of buying a power dynamo system for it, which in hindsight I wish I hadn't. I do not plan to run any lighting or dash/instrument cluster on this bike now that it is limited to dirt. The main reason I went with it over an old points ignition was to upgrade the lighting, but I guess I have it now so no point in switching back. Any advice or things to look out for now that I'm doing a sort-of MX conversion? I might try to trade some of my DT body and lighting pieces for some MX pieces.
1974 DT360
1975 RS100
2007 FZ6
Fort Thomas, KY
19 Aug 2019 09:56 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RacerClam on topic DT to MX (ish...)

Bummer on the no registering thing . But if you want performance up grades that surpass the Mx I can help with that

Rich
racerclam
19 Aug 2019 11:13 #2

• meadeam
  • meadeam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by meadeam on topic DT to MX (ish...)

Hard to say no to performance upgrades! My motor is at long last put together and back in the bike though. I'm not planning to yank it again anytime soon, but eventually, who knows? I replaced the piston and rings, along with the wrist pin and bearings. Enduronut honed the cylinder and did a light cleanup. I have a Sleeper Pipe for it. I am thinking about upgrading the carburetor, as mine is a basket case and I might just as easily buy a complete one that I can bolt on.

Did the MX use an airbox like the DT? It didn't use the autolube system, did it?
1974 DT360
1975 RS100
2007 FZ6
Fort Thomas, KY
19 Aug 2019 11:33 #3

Replied by Camp3 on topic DT to MX (ish...)

Meade, can't you do the Vermont registration to title workaround? or did we already cover that in a previous thread?
1976 DT175C
1975 DT100B Kid Trainer
1974 DT250A In Process
1992 FJ1200
19 Aug 2019 15:07 #4

Replied by RacerClam on topic DT to MX (ish...)

If you end up changing the carb the venturi dividers I fab along with a UFO in the slide are a great mod for mor and stronger linear power
racerclam
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302
19 Aug 2019 16:52 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic DT to MX (ish...)

In the state of Wyoming, you can get a title if the previous owner will sign a bill of sale form from a WY DMV office. Long as the numbers and name match, then they don't actually need a paper title. But that's only with the immediate previous owner who had to have put the bike in his name. Maybe your state does the same?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: pabdt
19 Aug 2019 20:52 #6

Replied by Kosmo on topic DT to MX (ish...)

Any chance you can register out of state? Where I live you can fill out an Affidavit if the original paperwork is missing.
20 Aug 2019 08:27 #7

Replied by liferbiker on topic DT to MX (ish...)

Look to "plating it" in Vermont. With a 360 they will require a vin inspection (you can do that locally by a peace officer) just print out that one & bill of sale from your state, then send those along with Vermont New Registration forms the fees (48.00 for reg. & 6% of NADA "good" value, about 100 bucks) and you get a plate & registration in about a month. Either run that plate until it expires, (or) go to your DMV w/Vermont's paperwork & change it over. They don't give you a title as it's over 15 years old, but your state will know that & should give you both. I will be changing one over soon, as my Vermont plate runs out next month on one I did that way last year. They don't care where you live, its all about the $$!
Last edit: 20 Aug 2019 10:35 by liferbiker.
20 Aug 2019 10:33 #8

Replied by liferbiker on topic DT to MX (ish...)

OR... print out lost title forms, bill of sale, transfer forms & pay a Notery to witness his signing, if he won't go that route, I'd run the vin to be sure it's on the up & up.
20 Aug 2019 10:44 #9

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic DT to MX (ish...)

One correction on this... Motorcycle needs to be over 300cc AND newer than 15 years old to require a title in Vermont. VIN verification is required.

If older than 15 years old, no Vermont title will be issued. VIN verification is not required if bike is under 500cc's.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin
20 Aug 2019 14:13 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart