facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

LS2 twin carb issues

• msavitt
  • msavitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

LS2 twin carb issues was created by msavitt

share.icloud.com/photos/0e5ILCFGmpkYX8ESiDO0hfD7A Hi -Need some advice.Bike seems to starve for fuel, meaning only wants to run with choke on.Timing and spark spot on and when I remove float bowls carefully each as equal level of fuel, meaning fuel is getting into bowls at the correct level.When I rebuilt this I cleaned things nicely and installed new Mikuni pilot and main jets.I took things apart to clean things up once again and to look for anything that stands out and the only think I can find is that the carb with the choke lever has a small spigot pipe (circled in red) that goes into the hole in the float bowl, and the other (also circled in red) does not have such a pipe.  Any inputs on whether I am missing a pipe, or this is correct, as well as any other ideas appreciated.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2024 14:02 by msavitt.
04 Jan 2024 14:01 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic LS2 twin carb issues

So long ago for me & my 4 LS2's actually 5 counting back.
I guess only one carb has the choke with a pipe across to the other.
So the correct bowl must be on the left carb. Probably only one bowl has the jet down the hole so easy to ID.
But if bowls were swapped the worst that could happen is 'no choke' when open.
So if choke closed & you're having issues it's leaning off from something else.
I guess you've followed all airways leading to emulsion tube "needle jet plus pilot".
Set the idle mixture down to one turn out & see if it helps. Raise the needle to richest 'lowest' clip--kill it with kindness then work back if plenty rich.
I'd hate to say the word "crank seals" so i won't!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: LongStride
Last edit: 04 Jan 2024 14:23 by RT325.
04 Jan 2024 14:21 #2

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic LS2 twin carb issues

thanks RT, happy new year down there!
crank seals god forbid!  both new when I rebuilt, no runaway, but we shall see!
04 Jan 2024 14:27 #3

Yep happy newyear. I'm probably not reading your post fully. Rebuilt sounds good.
04 Jan 2024 14:31 #4

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

So RT your a bike whisperer!

I discounted dirt because I put nice little inline paper filters on each fuel line, but upon closer inspection I found that I couldn’t see a nice round hole when holding pilot jet and emulsion tube and even main jet up to the light.  Source had to have been a bit of residual crud in bowls.  Amazing how much a spec of dirt hoses things up!

just took an amazing ride on my little hi revving noise and smoke maker, up to 45 with my post Xmas payload, will hopefully be even more fun when I drop front 14T sprocket to 13T.  I bet this bike could do the advertised 69 mph if I was a 100 lb lighter!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, LongStride, Sneezles61, Tinkicker
04 Jan 2024 17:27 #5

Good new & you sorted it yourself.
Funny "annoying" thing was with mine, the one i got out of the skip bin ran the most powerful.
I guess you've seen the extreme exhaust blockage i had on one bike.
Was in the header pipe right around the bend & where it joins the muffler.
That trebled the pony power.
04 Jan 2024 21:54 #6

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

it is such a cool little bike, it real
was my most challenging rebuild with the bent rod on one side and hole in piston on other. Still trying to think thru the failure mode, it has a popped out seal on mag side
05 Jan 2024 13:47 #7

Your post reads like it's popped a seal 'now'? but do you mean how it was when you bought it?.
Going good now i gather.
When i rebuilt the crank with new genuine rod kits in one of mine i felt the pins weren't tight enough in the crank wheels as they moved too easily when trueing the crank.
Had to slightly move it on the pins & also spread or squeeze to get them true. worried me but once i got them true but thought--ok carry on & see how it goes.
Ran ok & never moved so forgot about it in the end.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
05 Jan 2024 15:11 #8

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Hello RT-
Yes sir, I was referring to bikes state upon acquisition re bent rod one side, holed piston other and popped seal.  Strange failure mode that I still like to try to think thru.  I could see popped seal holing piston but bent rod would take a huge force / hydro lock.  

I had crank repaired by Mr Vance and Q&E who personally did this repair…nothing like decades of experience, 9000 rpm no issues.  Also did bore nice and tight per factory spec so nice and tight. 

love to get a triple Kaw to play with 
06 Jan 2024 08:07 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart