facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

AT2M Starting Issues

Replied by Tinkicker on topic AT2M Starting Issues

The dangers of misinformation on the global internet... Two parties with opposing stances.
Yet both are correct statements for their part of the world.

MarkT is correct. Chlorinated brake cleaner is widely available in the US.
Yamfan is correct. Chlorinated brake cleaner is banned in Europe.

Being a hobbyist watchmaker, looking for suitable, non professional watch cleaning chemicals that did not cost an arm and a leg, I did a bit of research into brake cleaners (that are available in europe).
The constituents are Isopropyl Alcohol (very bad for certain parts of watches) and Naptha. The exact ratio (believed to be 30% and 70%) is always witheld as under the sensitive proprietory information clause in safety data sheets.

Last edit: 07 Sep 2023 22:59 by Tinkicker.
07 Sep 2023 22:41 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by yam-fan on topic AT2M Starting Issues

Seems weird how myths and legends, easily become fact?
07 Sep 2023 23:57 #32

Replied by Tinkicker on topic AT2M Starting Issues

Indeed. Many long held beliefs I have held since being a teenager, probably read about in a bike magazine, or book back in the 80s, and things I would have defended to my dying breath as correct have been proven to be a falshood in todays circumstances.

Take doing a plug chop. Happy that I was on the slightly rich side at WOT, I hooned around on the devil bike and blew a piston.
After the fact it was discovered that plug chops are no longer the done thing...or a sign of a safe mixture.

Also thought that a 130 jet was a 130 jet, was a 130 jet. Apparently not. It is an arbitary number applied by a manufacturer.... No standardisation of testing procedures and labelling beteen manufacturers.

We live in a world carefully crafted to drive a person insane..
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 08 Sep 2023 00:13 by Tinkicker.
08 Sep 2023 00:11 #33

Replied by yam-fan on topic AT2M Starting Issues

A lot of the stuff, which is today nothing more than a myth, dates back to the 60/70s, when it was credible.
08 Sep 2023 01:15 #34

• PFC
  • PFC's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by PFC on topic AT2M Starting Issues

Thank you Asco 

the cylinder 1st over bore recently
 - piston new
- ring - new 

the Mikuni VM26 is new - jetted to specs from 1972 

the float was set at 15mm - the 1972 spec was 25mm
so I adjusted the float 

something tells me that is wrong - I double check the data I read and probable reset the card back to 15mm to see if there is a difference.

I also will check the flow of the fuel bottle to make it is flowing correctly.

crank seals have been replaced but there is some slop in the main bearings so they will need replacement and I will check for air leaks around the carb boot and maybe swap out the reed - I think I have another 

thanks again for your help 
08 Sep 2023 02:32 #35

Replied by MarkT on topic AT2M Starting Issues

Myths are often based on half-truths... and beliefs are simply thoughts and ideas that have been repeated.  Which is why advertisers bombard us with ads and trolls spam forums. The myth that a chocolate brown insulator tip indicates a safe mixture is a good example.  A plug chop test can tell you a lot if you start with a clean plug, follow the correct process, and know where and what to look for.  It is not easy to do correctly.  It takes practice.  These days electronics are readily available that can tell you mixture strength...  (unfortunately the probes foul somewhat quickly when exposed to the burned oil levels of a two stroke.)  A plug chop has become a "lost art" for the most part.  Someplace I still have the illuminated magnifier (now broken from rattling around in tool boxes over the years) that the Champion Spark Plug rep gave me at the races after showing me how to read a plug.  The tool is called an "illuminated coddington magnifier" and is/was made by Bausch and Lomb as well as others I suppose....  though there was an Internet fad about a decade ago of removing a new plug from the engine after a clean plug chop, installing a different plug to get the bike home, and cutting the plug apart to observe the ring of soot at the base of the center electrode that will give an indication of mixture strength.  Fact not myth.

Mikuni jet numbers are not arbitrary.  Other manufacturers may or may not arbitrarily assign numbers which sucks.  Which is why there are so many posts on using original Mikuni calibrated parts.  Fact, not myth.

Yamfan or Yam-fan, most of the members here are very protective of free speech and sharing of ideas.  Yet there are what are colloquially called "trolls".  Many of your posts fit the definition of trolling and your accounts are on the verge of being banned from this forum.  Fact not myth.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, OldBlue77
08 Sep 2023 03:55 #36

Replied by Yamfan on topic AT2M Starting Issues

Most recently the idea that Covid jabs, prevent infection/transmission, are safe and effective, and all the millions of adverse events/deaths, all over the world, following the injections, are coincidences, is reflective of the fact that many seem willing to conflate real world myths and legends with fact?

The idea of banning or cancelling those who might not agree with the accepted narrative, is something that has now been completely accepted.  Whether those who dissent, are labelled as right-wingers, fascists, antisemites, promotors of hate speech, or simply "trolls" is immaterial.

Last edit: 08 Sep 2023 05:02 by Yamfan.
08 Sep 2023 04:47 #37

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart