facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT3 Swingarm removal

Replied by RT325 on topic RT3 Swingarm removal

Yes each case is different. As you can imagine, working in a farm bike based shop, axles & swinging arm bolts just 'grow' into place. Shock treatment wins out 99% of the time but became doubly difficult when the s/arm bolt went through the back of the engine, through a steel insert in the case so another place to rust.
21 Nov 2022 18:51 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adguy2112
  • adguy2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by adguy2112 on topic RT3 Swingarm removal

As usual, Mark had the winning suggestion. My brother has my dads old Carolina 3ton press. The frame fit (barely) inside it with the swingarm bolt centered on the press. A 4x4 block under the main frame where it drops from the seat area and, after a few pulls on the jack, it popped. Then it was a matter of changing out press rods and it pushed through. The swingarm bolt is undamaged . Hallelujah! Thanks again. Next hurdle will be removing the flywheel. It’s equally stuck. I put huge pressure on the puller and it won’t budge. I don’t want to destroy the end of the crank so I guess I’ll feed it with some penetrating oil for a bit, maybe some heat and try again. The coils look brand new inside it but I’ll need to check the seal and cleanup the points. Always something!
22 Nov 2022 22:25 #12

Replied by Andy L on topic RT3 Swingarm removal

Adguy2112, well done on getting the swingarm spindle out.  Although you didn't use RT325's "set-up" in the old link he attached I can tell you it was something to behold

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

. Anyway the reason I'm chiming in on your thread is because you mentioned about having a stuck flywheel and potentially using heat on it. I'd be reluctant to use heat because you would very likely damage the windings on the coils which are coated with insulating material. Try instead the penetrating fluid and correct threaded puller method. Forgive me if already done but make sure you remove both washers (spring and flat) so that you get lots of thread interaction between puller and flywheel. Finally torque down the puller centre screw real tight and try hitting the end of it to 'shock' the crank/flywheel taper surfaces apart. Good luck with it

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
Last edit: 23 Nov 2022 00:34 by Andy L. Reason: Mis-spelling
23 Nov 2022 00:28 #13

Replied by MarkT on topic RT3 Swingarm removal

Congrats on the bolt removal!  By far my least favorite thing to do. 

Make sure you have a good quality puller and threads in flywheel are engaged fully as already said.  Tighten the push bolt good and tight...  Then if stuck I generally give it a quick zap with a 1/2" drive electric or air impact wrench...  just a rat-a-tat...  I don't keep trying to tighten beyond that. 

If flywheel doesn't pop off, I let it sit with puller tight.  Put a thick blanket, old jacket, or a pillow or something on the ground to cushion the fall. I may have been lucky but by next morning flywheel is always off. I don't ever hit end of puller with a hammer though many do...  It's not hard to knock crank out of true and I don't want to risk that.  (I can't remember seeing a Yamaha manual that recommends smacking end of puller with hammer)

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a good quality puller like the Motion Pro 08-0026.  Cheap pullers can damage flywheel threads and just don't work as well.  I helped a friend that had one of those no name flywheel pullers...  kept tightening and nothing happened.  It didn't feel right when tightening cheap puller.  Used my Motion Pro and flywheel popped right off. 

Push bolt on his puller was stiff after we removed it...  cheap puller threads were deforming before if applied enough pressure to remove flywheel.  Motion Pro puller was only $2 more than the cheap one.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, msavitt
23 Nov 2022 06:03 #14

• adguy2112
  • adguy2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by adguy2112 on topic RT3 Swingarm removal

Thank you for the tips. I have been using this puller for years and it's never given me problems before. I did run it all the way in (without washers) but I'll take your advice on not using heat. I did give it a few taps but I was equally worried about screwing up the true inside. I'll try the impact hammer method and leaving it tight for the night. I'm guessing a past owner tightened it with air because the crank nut took more force than I've ever experienced to remove. Hopefully, photo uploads will get fixed and I can includes some photos on the project soon.
23 Nov 2022 08:42 #15

Replied by RT325 on topic RT3 Swingarm removal

Flywheel nut sounds like i've tightened it haha. Pics won't load so post #8 in the link.
yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/74-7...-flywheel-nut#151295
23 Nov 2022 17:09 #16

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart