facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT2 Acceleration, Sound about Right?

• Brzn
  • Brzn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I've got the original 14 tooth sprocket up front and the original 44 tooth sprocket out back. I'm running the stock size 4.00x18" tire in the rear and 3.25x19" up front; both on the stock rims. Brand new brake pads front and rear with a brand new brake cable up front. The brakes are adjusted fine and not dragging.
The bike quickly accelerates to red line in the first four gears but seems to lug once in fifth and on any type of grade. It will pull to 69mph in fifth at red line, but it just seems a bit slow to do so. Fifth almost feels like an overdrive compared to the first four gears.
When I first got the bike I poured gasoline through the pipe to clean it out. I did however get quite a bit of oil in it once I started to clear out the crankcase of old 2 stroke oil that made it past the autolube pumps check valve while it'd been sitting for the previous 27 years.

The acceleration sound about right?
24 May 2022 05:41 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Swoop56 on topic DT2 Acceleration, Sound about Right?

I can't comment on the performance aspect , but the later model Dt1's and DT2 has different
gearbox ratios to the early DT1's . The later box had a bigger gap between fourth and fifth .
Obviously , if the power output was reduced , then pulling that higher gearing could be an issue .
24 May 2022 13:50 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic DT2 Acceleration, Sound about Right?

Yes 5th gear is best described as an overdrive & is a bit of a pain. Come to a highway hill & drop it down to 4th & she's over-revving--can't win. Best trans for nice even spacing was the first DT1 with the coarse tooth gears, but i broke the 3rd gear big wheel in that one in mx in 1070 or vmx as it now is 50 years later. So anyway--DT2 just gotta live with it or lower the overall gearing. One day [with all my left over old bits] i'm going to build a 4 speed & block of 5th so 4 nicely spaced ratios for mx.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Brzn
Last edit: 24 May 2022 15:04 by RT325.
24 May 2022 15:03 #3

• Brzn
  • Brzn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Brzn on topic DT2 Acceleration, Sound about Right?

Thanks RT325. Makes sense. The LT2 100 I had in my youth was before I had a driver's license and wasn't out on the road enough for me to remember how it acted going from 4th to 5th. I had a 72 Honda XL250 that, if I remember correctly, accelerated as expected through all five gears, however it was a four stroke. The last 250 I had was an 84 Suzuki RM 250 I raced Hare Scrambles with and had geared really low for the woods and couldn't compare.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
26 May 2022 05:51 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart