facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Kick Start Return

• Bigredram
  • Bigredram's Avatar Topic Author

Kick Start Return was created by Bigredram

Finally got my Ct3 clutch figured out and back together. After putting the side cover on i am having trouble with the kick starter.
The machine kicks over and the return spring works but if the kick starter snaps back up it doesnt stop where it should. I can rotate the starter  past where it should stop by pushing on it. What am I missing?

16 Jan 2022 17:29 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by jhassna on topic Kick Start Return

Hope this helps       
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, bike4fun, Ht1kid
16 Jan 2022 17:55 #2

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Bigredram
  • Bigredram's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Bigredram on topic Kick Start Return

thanks for the great photo explanation, thought i had this correct but guess ill need to pull it apart and check
16 Jan 2022 19:30 #3

Replied by jhassna on topic Kick Start Return

Also make sure that the kickstart shaft is pushed all of the way in.
16 Jan 2022 20:02 #4

Replied by alnarv on topic Kick Start Return

In addition to the above, another problem that occurs is the "stop" shown in the picture, is attached to the shaft by a "fine toothed " spline which can fail, allowing the shaft to rotate relative to the stop. It is very hard to see this when just looking at it, and when it slips, it still binds on the shaft so you can't easily rotate it by hand, but it will slip again when the force of the kick lever spring slams it against the case bump. If you look at the splines carefully you may see a mis-alignment, but to be sure, you may have to mark the shaft and stop, re-assemble and try it again. A mis-match of your marks will prove it slipped. A replacement of the 2 parts is the surest way to fix it, but I managed to weld the stop on the shaft to fix mine. Also, in the future, do not allow the kick start lever to slam back to the return position when starting.
alnarv
17 Jan 2022 05:55 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic Kick Start Return

My guess is the stop has let go on the splines. Mine split on my 490 but they used crap semi cast stuff on those & not common for the early stamped out stops to let go. But any--my first guess 'stop' as shown in the bottom in post #2 by JHASSNA.
17 Jan 2022 14:43 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart