facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

CT2-3 Pipe Build Question

• Commando
  • Commando's Avatar Topic Author

CT2-3 Pipe Build Question was created by Commando

Hi All,
I want to build a underslung exhaust for my CT3, which will be primarily twisty road use, tarmac and dirt.
I've got the Yamaha Racing Tips book and it shows plans for a motocross pipe.  Does anyone have plans or dimensions for a pipe that would be better suite for my use?  Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a rough guide on where to start for a broader range of power.

Much appreciated

15 Jun 2021 00:01 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic CT2-3 Pipe Build Question

I'd guess a motocross pipe would be as good as it gets for the riding your planning on doing. The pipe i guess would be in conjunction with porting as well, but on its own i'd think it would wake it up some.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., Commando
15 Jun 2021 02:51 #2

• Commando

Replied by Commando on topic CT2-3 Pipe Build Question

Thanks mate.  I do plan on trying out the porting from the Yamaha book at some point.
I just wasn't sure if their motocross pipe dimensions would give a wider or narrower power band.
15 Jun 2021 17:00 #3

Replied by DaveHunter on topic CT2-3 Pipe Build Question

Hi Commando,
  I’m no help as to what is optimal for your situation, but am now in the middle of building a CT 175 with an underslung exhaust & port work both done to the original Yamaha racing tech specs. When done  - - and that’s hopefully by end of summer - - will report back if it’s successful 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Commando
15 Jun 2021 17:09 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic CT2-3 Pipe Build Question

from what i know "which is mostly trial & error" from making about 10 chambers for my bucket racers over the years--the shorter you make it the higher up in the revs the power will be made. So i guess their pipe you show is more for midrange & good top end. Hard to get a 175 to grunt off the bottom & still turn on up top. There's knowledgeable people on here up with the play on making pipes i'm sure, so just kicking it along.
My old RT something 360 with modded porting has a 250 race pipe that's too short & the power is like a light switch & terrible to ride with a wide ratio box.
Thinking back 40-45 years on my CT1 ride to work bike i got a new MX175 pipe through redundant stock from the importer "we used to fight over the list every few months when it arrived haha". I modded it to fit & the thing just turbo'd on right from low revs to over rev really, was crazy & recon it doubled the horses. Funny what works sometimes. Think the MX175 was a through the frame under the tank pipe but must've totally altered for my CT1.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Commando
Last edit: 15 Jun 2021 17:32 by RT325.
15 Jun 2021 17:24 #5

• Commando

Replied by Commando on topic CT2-3 Pipe Build Question

Excellent.  Report any possible failures as well, please.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
15 Jun 2021 19:35 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart