facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

SC500 HPI Ignition

• MEAW
  • MEAW's Avatar Topic Author

SC500 HPI Ignition was created by MEAW

Any HPI ignition experts out there? I have just fitted a HPI ignition imported from Belgium. It’s a great piece of gear. Starts my old ‘73 SC500 in 2-3 kicks when cold. The instructions supplied stated the timing for the all single 2 strokes is 2mm BTDC. I have done this and the bike starts and run fine, no kickback!! 
Should I re adjust the timing to 2.7 mm BTDC as stated in the Yamaha service manual or just leave it at 2mm?
20 May 2021 02:50 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic SC500 HPI Ignition

Do you think it digitally alters the timing while running or stays fixed. I guess strobing it would prove that. Not sure what i'd do but maybe they've decided 2mm is kinder to the motor than nearer 3mm. They did like to seize if things weren't right or leaned off too much. Have you used it in anger or just in the shed. If not & you know how it used to run on the track i think i'd go & give it a whirl as is before altering. Have mixed memories of the SC. Was just the best on a fast grassy relatively smooth circuit but too much for me in the rough. Ya lucky to have one.
20 May 2021 04:14 #2

Replied by Pillsbury on topic SC500 HPI Ignition

The HPI has an auto retard of about 5-6 degrees at around 6-7k rpm. You should be fine, but do an in depth plug check.I  run it at 1.9 with a built-up 250 motor
1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1947 Mustang
1974 Suzuki TC185
20 May 2021 13:46 #3

Replied by turbodan on topic SC500 HPI Ignition

2mm is probably the safest bet. You can always try 2.7 if you keep an ear open for detonation.

That's one perk about the 500. You don't have to wring every ounce of power out of it. Jet it a little rich, leave a few degrees of advance on the table and it still should make enough power to scare you.
20 May 2021 20:01 #4

• MEAW
  • MEAW's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by MEAW on topic SC500 HPI Ignition

Thanks for that guys. I will leave it where it is at 2mm.
20 May 2021 21:39 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart